My First Dovetails

trialbyfire

Am I missing it, or did you not cut before you started chopping out the waste?

If by cut you mean take out the majority of the waste. No I didn't do that because I don't have a fret/coping/tenon/dovetail/etc saw. So I'm cutting these with nothing but my marking knives and my chisels. If you mean why didn't I score the end grain I have done so now but had not done that at the time it cracked. The glue held up well and I was able to go finish the cut.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, trialbyfire said:

I don't have a fret/coping/tenon/dovetail/etc saw. So I'm cutting these with nothing but my marking knives and my chisels.

You're cutting dovetail joints without any kind of saw at all? you deserve a medal!

That's not just neanderthal, that's positively australopithecan.

You're cutting dovetail joints without any kind of saw at all? you deserve a medal!

That's not just neanderthal, that's positively australopithecan.

Lol tell me about it man... This takes forever. It is rather satisfying though when you get one cut out though. Still I think I'm gonna try and convince the wife I need a saw of some sort.

43 minutes ago, trialbyfire said:

Lol tell me about it man... This takes forever. It is rather satisfying though when you get one cut out though. Still I think I'm gonna try and convince the wife I need a saw of some sort.

Pick up one of these, they are cheap and come in handy for many things.  https://www.amazon.com/Tools-Dovetail-Detail-4-Inch-213104/dp/B0001GLEZI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472852545&sr=8-2&keywords=flush+trim+saw

Definitely not the be all end all dovetail saw, but anything beats no saw.