Using multiple wood species

TBaiga

I understand there was a recent FWW article (don't have access yet) discussing the use of multiple wood species in a furniture design. Many TWW pieces as well as posted projects here really bring the contrasting color considerations to life and in a few cases there have been some examples of complimenting colors too. By contrast I'm using the term to mean dramatic use of light and dark wood. And by complimenting, two species that are closer on the color palette or aesthetically complimentary. Looking at Marc's designs he's used Walnut-Cherry, Bubing-Tiger Maple, Bubinga-Spalted Maple, White Oak-Walnut, Curly Maple-Wenge, Hickory-Wenge and Alder-Walnut...not to mention cutting boards, lol!

So the first question is a. what combination does you like, contrast or compliment, b. which representative species combination(s) are your favorite and why. The second question is more species specific, what pairing would you envision for a. teak and b. african mahogany (contrast or compliment).

I hope this discussion can give us more insight on the artistry behind the craftsmanship.

I have made 5 picture frames for Christmas gifts. I used walnut and cherry. (Pictures attached)

I love the contrast of cherry and walnut. If the builder selects "interesting" cherry it can make the cherry have character in itself.

I will be making a cherry/walnut end grain cutting board soon... I'll make 1 as a prototype and then pry 3 for gifts.

post-2720-0-45108700-1294269724_thumb.jp

I'd say Garrett Hack's article was a little controversial, as it was written as though his opinion was a pseudo-official design standard (I don't think that was his intent but it came across that way). Some of the contrasts he said were big no-no's actually turn out fairly well (purpleheart and maple for instance can be a very nice contrast depending on what you're going for). When I look at contrasting woods it depends on the project itself. If I'm going for something with visual pop then a significant contrast can work (e.g. purplheart/maple, ebony/maple etc.), if I'm going complementary then I'm looking at combinations such as cherry/maple.

What I find for myself to be bigger than colour contrast is grain contrast. Typically I try to avoid contrasting woods that have vastly differing grain patterns. To me sharp grain patterns such as oak or ash do not go with tighter grains patterns such as maple or cherry. I also try to keep sharp contrasting woods down to no more than two, and if there's a third species it should (IMO obviously), be a complementary wood to one of them, or ideally a transitional where it would work as complementary to both.