Butcher Block Countertop

TMFoughty

Hello all. I am in the process of building a kitchen island and I am planning on building an end-grain butcher block countertop out of maple and walnut. My question is, should I use biscuits to help join the final glue up? It will be some sort of a checkerboard pattern. The overall length is 64 1/2". The width is 25 1/2". It will be about 1 3/4" thick.

Thanks for any advice,

Todd

I think that the only reason for biscuits for the configuration you are descibing would be to help with the alignment of the various strips. The final top itself most likely wouldn't need the minor increase in strength the biscuits would provide since it would be sitting on a stable subsurface.

The alignment help though, I think would be substantial for the size you are considering.

ala Dennis Miller..."that's just my opinion, I could be wrong"... :)

Sounds like it would be a beautiful top.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. I am in the process of building a kitchen island and I am planning on building an end-grain butcher block countertop out of maple and walnut. My question is, should I use biscuits to help join the final glue up? It will be some sort of a checkerboard pattern. The overall length is 64 1/2". The width is 25 1/2". It will be about 1 3/4" thick.

Thanks for any advice,

Todd

Biscuits won't benefit you any. It will be amazingly strong and stable without anything but glue.

Biscuits won't benefit you any. It will be amazingly strong and stable without anything but glue.

I agree with you on the strength ... but biscuits will really help with alignment. I have built three of Marc's end-grain cutting boards and gluing alignment was difficult.

One more thing ... if you do a dark-wood / light-wood checkerboard affect, the milling of your lumber has to be near-perfect ... all the way through the processes. Otherwise, the corners of the squares where the dark wood and the light wood come together will "not come together."

Also, some have had trouble with water getting into the end-grain, expanding and cracking the boards. Marc made a mini-video on this issue (you should take a look). This adds risk to the long-term prospects for this large top. If it was me, I would not take that risk. I would do a side-grain glue-up for this large top.