Blue dye

CaptFerd

Made a small clock for my daughter. Turn out great. The problem is she wants it to be blue. Ive never done anything that color and am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I should do this. Ive got some GF water based blue dye and have tryed it on some test pieces. I just feel like Im going to destroy this clock turning it blue. Any sujestions.

DSC03100.jpg

Here are some options:

GF water based dye stain (if you want to see the wood)

GF water based milk paint w/ or w/o glazing

spray paints (rattle can to automotive) some interesting effects

i'd avoid the classical method of vitriolated indigo, unless you have a chemistry degree ;)

best to find some examples to show her and finish according to her desire. attractive clock, btw!

Howdy Capt... I'm gonna send you over to (Click me) spend a little time and get to know the process, the black and blue thing. The guitar boys do all the wild dyes. Possibly, purchase the General Finishes water-based "Natural," which is their "stain" tint base, or they call pre-conditioner. Try making your own water based stain dye stain. One black, one blue and experiment on scraps. I think you will have more control that way. Black will cool the blue some.

EF-Prestain-conditio-250.jpg

I have also seen in the arts and craft stuff...hard to explain...but looks like faded blue jean. A blue dye is applied and wiped back.

Or as TomB suggested...paint?

Wow.... blue, this should get interesting.....hehehe

-Ace-

What kind of wood did you build with? Is the face solid or plywood?

TomB thanks for the compliment. Just some thing I threw together. Hi Ace, Ive tryed paint and it just dont seem right although I did paint the face Antique white. The buttons that go in the holes are painted black. The face was made of left over scraps of 1/4 inch maple glued together and doubled up. The slats, top and base are poplar.

I almost gave up on the blue thing but you guys got me interested in this. Was just going to give it a cherry finish and be done. Havent tryed the black dye that may be the key.

Ive been trying to convert myself to water base everything and shellac for sealing. What Ive got is a few cans of GF dyes. Can those dyes be mixed with that conditioner.

The pre-stain conditioner is basically their stain or tint base, or transfer agent. It's clear and is what they add pigments to make stain. Also, marketed as a pre-conditioner for blotchy woods.

Your poplar looks white?????????? So its sapwood and will drink in your dye. You could apply a coat of the Natural first for blotch control, then try the black and blue thing, but then again, you may not have too. So test with and without blotch control.

No problem mixing the dye to the Natural. Hell you can even mix some blue General Finishes milk paint to the tint-base and make a stain. By doing so your color is more transparent.

-Ace-

Useing the links you guys gave and reading up on them helped a bunch. After moling it over for a day and testing and testing and testing this is what I came up with. I couldnt find any conditioner or black and I didnt feel like ordering and waiting so I made do with what I had. I started with some really dark brown dye to subsitute the Black and sprayed it on dark.

DSC03101.jpg

Then sanded it back.

DSC03103.jpg

I mixed 1 part GF blue dye, 1 part water base polycrylic and 1 part water, and sprayed about five coats. Worked out Ok with the brown but definatly going to try it with some black just to see if theres much difference. So thats where Im at.

DSC03111.jpgDSC03109.jpg

I guess Ill Put some clear without dye on and be done with this part anyway. I originalyy painted the face white. Its to brite.

DSC03108.jpg

Ive stripped it back and am dying it the same but without the brown. Ill post it back soon.

CaptFerd

After countless colors the face is silver. My son suggested that color to me and I didn't listen at first. Then it struck me that silver may not be to bad after all. The funny thing was that at one time it was yellow. Thought Ace would love that cause it looked like a Michigan State Wolverines clock. I feel like I got a finish on it without destroying it and its Blue. Couldn't have done it without your help. Thanks a million.

DSC03115.jpg

DSC03114.jpg

DSC03113.jpg

CaptFerd

Sand that b&*ch back down, yellow is a good color....:D :D :D :D. That's what I like about you Capt...your like a Wolverine...never give up keep pushing, always trying new things. Sometimes finishing takes you along, for a different kind of ride, nice job holding on :).

What kind of clock works did you use?

-Ace-

I get all my clock stuff at Klockit. I like these Movements (Click Here) because they run with a c cell battery. Ive had clocks run five years and longer on one battery. You can get them with or without the Pendulum long or short shaft and you pick your own hands free with the movement. Pretty cool store / website.

By the way if I wouldnt of had yellow dye , I was ready to use that mustard idea you came up with a while back. :)