Assembly table project

dlamulle

Hey Friends,

Just a picture of the project that got me to this guild. I had been checking out the FWW site and saw Marc's video on building this assembly table. I thought it looked awesome and decided to give it a go. I'm usually not a great video fan, but Marc's whimsical but knowledgeable style held me like a Jet full body clamp. After I finished the project I did a search to see if he had any other little things drifting around and was floored when I found this site. Looking forward to our current build and I hope you enjoy photos of my finished project.

Thanks Marc for everything you do.

Dave

post-2709-0-72081400-1294447525_thumb.jp

post-2709-0-21051200-1294447533_thumb.jp

post-2709-0-99973000-1294447540_thumb.jp

post-2709-0-76087400-1294447616_thumb.jp

Turned out wonderful.

Question, for entire WTO members: including yourself, when installing drawer slides how do you calculate the installation? such as width of the drawer to allow both slides to fit correctly

The drawer slides you plan on using should be purchased before the project or at the very least researched for the required clearance. Most slides on the market require 1/2" per slide, which means the drawer would be 1" smaller than the opening. You are typically given 1/32 plus or minus per side play in that measurement and i usually try to error on having the drawer be that much smaller rather than larger. If you are a tad small you can shim out with tape but if your drawer is too big it will bind or might be hard to open and close.

Dave

Turned out wonderful.

Question, for entire WTO members: including yourself, when installing drawer slides how do you calculate the installation? such as width of the drawer to allow both slides to fit correctly

If you look at the direction that came with your slides, it should give you the numbers and measurements to figure that out.

Dave,

That is a thing of beauty!

Nice work.

I'm a bit envious. My time is so limited in the shop that it seems I am always making projects for other people. My shop furniture suffers for it. Not to say it isn't sturdy or square because it is. But nothing in my shop is a beautiful as the piece you built. Really nice. I'm green with envy.

Speaking of green, I have to ask. I see some Hitachi drills and drivers in the pics, I see a festool shop vac, I even see green handle electricians tools. (BTW I have that same set from the HD.) Just a coincidence or do you have a thing for green tools? (Tongue firmly planted in cheek.)

Keep up the good work. Thanks for the pics.

Welcome to the forum Dave! The assembly table looks fantastic! I really miss mine. When I moved into my smaller shop, I gave it away simply because I had no room. Now that I'm moving back into the old shop space again, I think it might be time for version 2 of the assembly table. Can't wait to have that much space to work again! Nicely done my friend!

Welcome to the forum Dave! The assembly table looks fantastic! I really miss mine. When I moved into my smaller shop, I gave it away simply because I had no room. Now that I'm moving back into the old shop space again, I think it might be time for version 2 of the assembly table. Can't wait to have that much space to work again! Nicely done my friend!

I'm glad you're getting excited about the move. I know how much PITA it is, but it WILL be nice to have all that room again. This time even better organized!

Marc,

Curious about the new/old shop. Is this entirely a business setup (shop in the garage and the rest of the house for business), or are you taking advantage of unused garage space because the tenant doesn't need it?

If it is the first, that is an interesting business model. And then... I wonder if that would work in my situation, where I would have to pay a monthly mortgage vice paying for a warehouse or large outbuilding??

Mike

• 1 month later...

I would love to see an assembly table that uses the torsion box design and is portable. Like This one at FWW. My basement shop is also short on space and this would be helpful.

Marc,

Curious about the new/old shop. Is this entirely a business setup (shop in the garage and the rest of the house for business), or are you taking advantage of unused garage space because the tenant doesn't need it?

If it is the first, that is an interesting business model. And then... I wonder if that would work in my situation, where I would have to pay a monthly mortgage vice paying for a warehouse or large outbuilding??

Mike

My parents are actually going to live in the attached house. I still own the house though so the business will be covering at least part of the mortgage.

I would love to see an assembly table that uses the torsion box design and is portable. Like This one at FWW. My basement shop is also short on space and this would be helpful.

Now that's interesting. I wonder how that will hold up over time. Part of what makes a torsion box so warp-resistant is the skins above and below. Without them, its just a gridwork that can, and likely will bend under its own weight. If I am seeing this correctly, it looks like the skins are never permanently attached to the grid. So I wonder how long its "flatness" will last.

Daaaaave...bless your heart. What a PITIFUL assembly table! :angry: I have to reach out to you and try to save you some embarrassment....all those spacious drawers, and the doors and the storage....brother, I'll give you my address here in SC. You can ship it and I'll give it a home and use it so you won't feel so bad. Trauma like this could make a man take up knitting or something :blink: ....really nice table! :D

Nice work Abita!

Well, mine isn't portable, but it is movable. I started a new thread if you want to see it:

As far as attaching the top, I just drove some screws through the carcass into the torsion box. But the stop blocks that Paul-Marcel used sounds like a better idea.

really dumb question for the OP...

how did you attach the top to the bottom? I have yet to actually secure mine down. LOL

IMG_0470.JPG

Thankfully the dang thing is heavy enough that it doesn't move too much. =)

Howdy,

When I made the cabinet I also cut 6 pieces of 3/4 plywood 4" wide. Three of these were cut the same length as my case and dadoed to fit over the top of the case sides then glued and screwed down. The last three were cut eight inches longer and screwed to the tops of the first ones with a four inch overhang on each end. I then just ran some screws up thru the overhangs into the torsion box bottom. The screws hold it tight and I used the depth of the dadoes to adjust the height to exactly what I felt comfortable with for my work.

Dave