Play kitchen for kids

bguscott

Other than building a work bench (successfully) and an articulating gate for a front porch (major failure, there), I am very much a newbie to wood working. Right now, I am attempting to build a play kitchen for my kids. I am struggling with finding the "right" hinges for what will be the oven door. The main part of the play kitchen consists of two 3/4" ply for the left and right sides and 1/2" ply for the back, bottom, top, and front (oven door). I've cut a square out of the oven door, chamfered the inside and will be attaching some plexiglass to the front of it. I am also going to attach a magnetic latch for the oven door. I need help with one item - I need hinges that will be "kid friendly"... that is, not swing open at a touch. They need to be stiff and require a some effort to open. I don't want the door swinging down and hurting someone. Right now, I think the hinges would fasten to the bottom of the play kitchen and in back of the oven door.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

-bpg

Not sure where you could get them that are light enough, but I'm thinking those pistons used for hatchback windows. Could even just use one, but normally those require too much force. Maybe there are similar pistons that aren't so stiff. Put it inside the oven to one side so when the door is opened, they have to put a little force to do so. You could position the piston to bottom out when the door is horizontal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...