Need help..

Pbmaster11

So I have been consigned to build a beer pong table for a friend. He is collecting booze labels and would like me to put them as the top so they are they focus of the table.... most likely 60 percent or more of the table top will be covered with labels. The labels need to be water proofed so they do not get ruined.

My two thoughts..

Sandwiched between two sheets of plexi glass and silicon the edges and then wrap the edge of the table with a 3 inch apron.

or... my favored choice...

use pour on poly...

Now I am a little concerned with a few things...

The expanding and contracting of the wood that will cause the poly layer to crack and exposing the labels...

Please let me know what you guys think and recommend.

So from a quick research I have determined this for decoupage.

Solid wood top or veneered ply wood.

Use a water based stain to dress up the wood, if the labels do not cover the entire top. If they do then there is no point to stain.

Now this is where I may need some help...

Mod-podge to glue labels to surface.

Seal with a varnish (poly?)

I don't know anything about decoupage except that I know it when I see it, and what you were describing sounded like decoupage to me. I just Googled Mod-podge and it seem like this might be all you need:

The ultimate durable finish! Hard Coat Mod Podge provides extra protection for your decoupage projects that are functional, frequently used or handled. Perfect for furniture, book shelves, table-tops, serving trays, floor cloths and more. Sand between coats for an ultra-smooth finish. Available April 2007.

Can you do some test pieces? Or maybe someone with experience making bar tops will chime in.

In a nutshell, Use plywood for the top so it doesn't move. Then Glue the lables down using what ever compatable glue - You may want to look at the craft glues to do this. Then, for a super durable top, use an epoxy. Just build a dam around the perimeter, mix & pour the epoxy, and let it cure under a hologen lamp - The heat from the lamp will help eliminate air bubbles. Just be sure the top is perfectly level when you apply the epoxy. You can use West, System 3, Envrotex, or just about any of the 2 part slow setting systems for this application

When finished, the lables will be locked into place, and it will look like you have about 100 coats of varnish on the table.

Hope this helps

Gregory Paolini