My Micro Wood-Shop (its a garage)

Derek_PNW

Nice shop! Better car I loved my Mini Cooper convertible. Have you ran into many moisture issues in your garage? Or is it decently sealed? And that looks like a fun trip to Portland. I might need to visit that place next time I'm down there. I love the look of black walnut.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

And I might as well tell you my shop is 23'x23' But I have to share with appliances and a mini van. It's a hard life...

I haven't ran into any problems with moisture (knocks on wood). It is a below grade garage and tends to stay at a pretty constant temperature throughout the year.

I am in the same boat... I really like the look of black walnut. I have really taken a liking to Peruvian Walnut.

Spent some time this evening cutting and dry assembling the remote control shelf which will mount inside the coffee table. I need to fill the nail holes and pieces missing on the box joints due to the dados.

8f539d95e4d4c9f2ad4a8fe0388c41cf.jpg

b5a5f08b7232eae4174682993ee032d4.jpg

• Like 1

I haven't ran into any problems with moisture (knocks on wood). It is a below grade garage and tends to stay at a pretty constant temperature throughout the year.

I am in the same boat... I really like the look of black walnut. I have really taken a liking to Peruvian Walnut.

Spent some time this evening cutting and dry assembling the remote control shelf which will mount inside the coffee table. I need to fill the nail holes and pieces missing on the box joints due to the dados.

8f539d95e4d4c9f2ad4a8fe0388c41cf.jpg

b5a5f08b7232eae4174682993ee032d4.jpg

I am still a ways off before I use it however after seeing the place in Portland it definitely jumped to the top for purchase lumber. And it all looks beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished project.

• Like 2

I am still a ways off before I use it however after seeing the place in Portland it definitely jumped to the top for purchase lumber. And it all looks beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Give Edensaw out in Port Townsend a look for your black walnut. The 8/4 shorts I am using have minimal knots (2 boards out of 6 have three knots) and it was a great price. 90% of the epoxy you see is me filling small pin holes... first time using epoxy and I might have made too much...

I am just depressed with all of the black walnut shavings in my yard waste bin... there has to be another 8/4 short in there.

3a2f06427c2c363a2414be8fce58d813.jpg

• Like 2

I will bookmark them both. Chances are we will go to Portland before the coast however. We don't travel much so when we do we make the most out of it.

Looking into Edensaw they actually have one in Tacoma as well. Which is way closer.

22 minutes ago, aknotsdeath said:

I will bookmark them both. Chances are we will go to Portland before the coast however. We don't travel much so when we do we make the most out of it.

Looking into Edensaw they actually have one in Tacoma as well. Which is way closer.

The one in Tacoma (I don't think) doesn't have the supply as the one in Port Townsend.  The one in Port Townsend is impressive! 

I believe if you know what you want to buy, the Tacoma location can be treated like a will call. As mentioned, I don't think they stock anything there besides veneers.

• Like 1

I believe if you know what you want to buy, the Tacoma location can be treated like a will call. As mentioned, I don't think they stock anything there besides veneers.

Gotcha. And even will call would be helpful. Finding out what I want on the other hand...

On 4/9/2017 at 9:16 PM, Derek_PNW said:

I am going to email Edensaw today to see if they will deliver a load to Tacoma to be picked up will call. Hoping to be purchasing Roubo lumber in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 2

I am going to email Edensaw today to see if they will deliver a load to Tacoma to be picked up will call. Hoping to be purchasing Roubo lumber in the next couple of weeks.

I believe I started to reply, but never completed.... Awesome! I am looking to upgrade my D.C. since the 10 gallon collection bin is not worthwhile... and with all the roubo lumber we will be emptying it every other board....

• Like 1

I believe I started to reply, but never completed.... Awesome! I am looking to upgrade my D.C. since the 10 gallon collection bin is not worthwhile... and with all the roubo lumber we will be emptying it every other board....

Are you going to upgrade the whole thing or only the bin?

3 hours ago, Derek_PNW said:

They got back to me, and yes, they will pull an order and transfer it to Tacoma. Part of still wants to just make the trip and hand select each board.

• Like 2

They got back to me, and yes, they will pull an order and transfer it to Tacoma. Part of still wants to just make the trip and hand select each board.

I understand your desire to hand pick them as well. However I feel the guys in the warehouse that helped me select the boards were really trying to select the best boards with me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Derek_PNW said:

I understand your desire to hand pick them as well. However I feel the guys in the warehouse that helped me select the boards were really trying to select the best boards with me.

That's reassuring. I would be very specific when placing order. I have heard nothing but good things about Edensaw. Driving to Tacoma just seems better to me. I do want to hand pick the 12/4 for the leg vise and end cap though.

Are you going to upgrade the whole thing or only the bin?

I don't know. There are a lot of dominos falling right now. I currently rent the town home I am in, however the owner has offered to sell it to me at the end of my lease or now. I am 99% sure I will make an offer, so I would like to invest in installing 240V/30A and 120V/20A outlets since I currently use one plug inside the house and the one dedicated 15A in the garage...

So if I did do that... I would elect for a larger 5HP Cyclone and live under the pay once, cry once. Unfortunately, at the crossroads for my current chip collector (not even close to dust collection) if buy a larger blower, better filters, and larger bin... I think I am better off saving my cash, looking at my cash on hand, and budget for the CV1800.

So....... guess what I have been doing? Budgeting myself and looking through all the costs. I have already stopped just buying cool tools until I need them. . . . . Finding out there is a lot I don't use and I often go for easier solutions instead of all the gimmicks out there.

A lot of wisdom on this forum and reading post after post I have learned a lot. Buy when needed, and pay once, cry once. I try to check my needs and expectations of a tool and stop the thought process that I can build something just as good when a company has invested a lot of capital into R&D! Easier said than done because I don't have a money tree.

Holy cow I wrote a book. Thanks for letting me get on my soap box.

That's reassuring. I would be very specific when placing order. I have heard nothing but good things about Edensaw. Driving to Tacoma just seems better to me. I do want to hand pick the 12/4 for the leg vise and end cap though.

Maybe they would send a few 12/4 boards out for your selection?

• Like 1

Don't forget to add in the cost of selling the old system as well. I am sure someone around will buy it. Could help eat some of that cost. And I plan on doing the same with my electrical. Have to redo my house panel anyway at some point. Might as well have them run an extra line while at it.

1 hour ago, Derek_PNW said:

Maybe they would send a few 12/4 boards out for your selection?

I am sure they would. I am planning on a contrasting wood for the 12/4. Probably walnut and would like to hand pick those for some nice grain options.B)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Derek_PNW said:

Pulled the walnut top out of the clamps, wired the 250VAC/30A circuit (electrician will do the final hook up) and found two large Wynn Canister filters on my door step!

Wow, wish i would find a pair of those on my doorstep... Seems unlikely to happen without paying for them.

• Like 2