My Micro Wood-Shop (its a garage)

Derek_PNW

11 hours ago, Derek_PNW said:

More should be showing up here soon... I just have to figure out my enclosure still. I guess it is time for sketch up.

Awesome!! I can't get on the Sketchup bandwagon. I use solidworks for my day job and find Sketchup confusing. Maybe I haven't spent enough time playing with the softaware.

-Edit

Bandwagon is the best word to here. Its a great tool for people without access to others.

Awesome!! I can't get on the Sketchup bandwagon. I use solidworks for my day job and find Sketchup confusing. Maybe I haven't spent enough time playing with the softaware.

Stick with what you know, Matt. Most of us use Sketchup just because it is pretty easy for the uninitiated to learn, and it is free to obtain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Stick with what you know, Matt. Most of us use Sketchup just because it is pretty easy for the uninitiated to learn, and it is free to obtain.

I played with Sketchup years ago and think it is a great tool that people can access for free. I just find it confusing since I haven't played with it for so long and I am comfortable with Solidworks. There is also Fushion 360, which is free for Students/Startups/hobbyists. It is more powerful than Sketchup, along the same lines as Solidworks. I have played around with it. 

My theory with Sketchup is that it's great if it's the first 3d software you work with. If you have experience with anything else through, it get's pretty painful. My wife previously learned Solidworks, and I learned 3DSMax. Neither of us can put up with Sketchup.

I was really familiar with AutoCad 2000 when it came out... haven't touched it since 2001 and now trying to learn sketch up. Yes it's painful trying to learn a thing. Still haven't made much progress. But still have not had a need. Seems simple enough though. Kinda.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I think one of the main things to making sketchup fast and easy is learning the keyboard shortcuts. There's a guy at work that can use it but does everything with the mouse and it drives me crazy. You've got 2 hands, use 'em. Unless you've had a table saw accident or something and in that case, click away.

That's the issue. Trying to remember all that stuff. Maybe I will try printing a help guide or something.

I gave up on Sketchup, because producing printable output is a royal pain, unless you pony up some $$$$.

Being a linux user anyway, I am attempting to learn enough of Blender to see if it makes an acceptible substitute for 3D modeling furniture. So far, the answer is "why would you do that with Blender?"

I like graph paper and pencils more and more.

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I gave up on Sketchup, because producing printable output is a royal pain, unless you pony up some $$$$.

Being a linux user anyway, I am attempting to learn enough of Blender to see if it makes an acceptible substitute for 3D modeling furniture. So far, the answer is "why would you do that with Blender?"

I like graph paper and pencils more and more.

Check out Fushion 360 if you want a 2D drawing function. It's free for hobbyists.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I've looked at it briefly, but as I reca, it is a cloud-based solution? That's a hassle for me, since my home internet service is barely better than smoke signals.

It is cloud based, but I think that is only for storage. If I am not mistaken, you work on models from your local machine, then it is stored to the cloud. 

Disclaimer: I am a mechanical guy and know nothing about cloud base crap.

Derek,  

You said earlier " . . . Since I am new to woodworking "  What do you call "new"?  You seem to have quite a bit of knowledge about the proper tools and materials (and what to look for in a used jointer)  It is impressive and will be incredible when you get "experienced" (-:

Nice work,

Carl

Derek,  

You said earlier " . . . Since I am new to woodworking "  What do you call "new"?  You seem to have quite a bit of knowledge about the proper tools and materials (and what to look for in a used jointer)  It is impressive and will be incredible when you get "experienced" (-:

Nice work,

Carl

@Carl10 thanks for the compliments, but I have been at this woodworking thing for about 8 months now. :) I spend a lot of time listening and reading posts from the guys on here which have a lot more knowledge than I! I also spend a lot of time reading materials from other sources. A lot of researching...

• Like 1

The CV1800 just arrived! Unfortunately..... the cyclone body has a crack near a screw. I have already sent an email telling them of the defect. There is no damage to the box so I didn't refuse with the Fedex guy. I pulled the cyclone body out and it looks like the screw was too tight and caused a stress crack. Ugh......

7e4a66980bc9491af442b1eab4529189.jpg

234ce9b82a6dcc17c567967473d07b94.jpg

Bummer it came broke. And looking at it i would agree about the screw (done it more than once) and hopefully they do to.

Yeah, But Clearvue being a customer focused company sent me an email saying sorry and a replacement has been shipped. I didn't expect anything but good from them.

• Like 2

Yeah, But Clearvue being a customer focused company sent me an email saying sorry and a replacement has been shipped. I didn't expect anything but good from them.

Sounds like the company I'm going to go through when the time comes. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...