My Micro Wood-Shop (its a garage)

Derek_PNW

LOL, you even have a micro car! The wife had one, a 2009, it would have been cheaper to buy a boat and sink it. Very glad to see it go.

Luckily the Mini is my Girlfriend's car. :) i just let her park in the garage when I am busy with project and we cannot both park in the garage. I do drive a micro car though... Golf GTI

Am I the only one that looked at that miter gauge on the SawStop, and thought that "Someone's going to have a bad day"? 

SawDustB wins! When I posted the picture I was sure I was going to get grief for the miter gauge!

RichardA is on point. I have to move it out of the way so I can move around.

• Like 1

I am excited! I was browsing Craigslist and stumbled across a Powermatic PM54HH 6" jointer. I was starting to think about purchasing a jointer even though I have limited space and well it appears the stars have aligned. I am picking up the jointer from a retailer down south in Auburn, WA called Equipment Sales and Surplus. This jointer is brand new but has a small dent on the base from shipping. Now it is considered a surplus. I obviously will be bringing my straight-edge to confirm the cast iron is true. I will post pictures, but now I have to decided if I would rather build a mobile base or buy one. My shop projects keep getting in the way of my furniture projects. . . Pictures to be posted!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Derek_PNW said:

I am excited! I was browsing Craigslist and stumbled across a Powermatic PM54HH 6" jointer. I was starting to think about purchasing a jointer even though I have limited space and well it appears the stars have aligned. I am picking up the jointer from a retailer down south in Auburn, WA called Equipment Sales and Surplus. This jointer is brand new but has a small dent on the base from shipping. Now it is considered a surplus. I obviously will be bringing my straight-edge to confirm the cast iron is true. I will post pictures, but now I have to decided if I would rather build a mobile base or buy one. My shop projects keep getting in the way of my furniture projects. . . Pictures to be posted!

Awesome!

Spent the day in the shop organizing, tuning up my machines, sorting cutoffs, and milling the herringbone pieces for the walnut topped coffee table/ottoman. Having the Powermatic 54HH in the arsenal is awesome. Much more efficient than a sled for the planer... I will reserve the sled for the widest of boards I refuse to cut, joint, and glue back up. Here is a barrage of pictures that sums up my day.

The Three Amigos and Maid (dust collector):

1483835247c4fb58413f2e5fb7d45f50.jpg

The newest member.

d4b381fb0d5fde39c4855169fddd4ff9.jpg

99fcd51287454e2d7a2b7dd976278cac.jpg

Mass milling, resawing, and planning:

8925e10f9bf17ab8162ddc812f384e86.jpg

a52c801472f9f1d7be7c294652dd965a.jpg

A well tuned saw.

cfe4e0aeb5436fd2967eb5625d7f9ce9.jpg

Planning..... planning... planning:

ca51285642446904cdbaa86b3e03f6d6.jpg

87c9141173104e1cc3b8629c8a9d3843.jpg

fd2acd3424076242f74f8ee7175f3af5.jpg

Nailed it.

c3afbbf244c653f276f4fb864e0ed4af.jpg

I stacked it for airflow but honestly don't know if that matters.

e4e1922654d2a8792f31f1f08af049ff.jpg

Oh yeah... overfilled the barrel as well. Interesting enough this popped the surge protector on the iVac... kind of like a dust sentry... however I would prefer not to pop it every time.

5bf71c8e57083b231761849bdc1e3fe1.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Derek_PNW said:

Of course. We can run it through it's paces on all the lumber for the Roubo. Seriously, when you're ready, PM or text me!

Awesome. Thank you. This will save me a lot of time and back breaking work. Was contemplating milling it all by hand. Or renting some time in Snohomish. I will contact you when I get ready. 

In hindsight... I am wishing I made the herringbone pattern before I glued up the base... I could have laid it out. Set my table saw to 1/4" depth of cut and my fence to 1/2" and slice off all of the ends. Then simply slide the ends into the dados and assemble. Now I am left with cutting these small damn parts. I am going to cut my finger off with my table saw or hand saw.

0836435bd4f15d0958fe69334e595603.jpg

1 hour ago, Derek_PNW said:

My pup and I headed out to Edensaw to pick up about 40 BF of 8/4 Superior Black Walnut shorts (6' each) this morning. Will be using some of it for a coffee table top. Assuming superior is FAS? I am not sure. . .

ef9650f3f62aa67a3d136f4e877107f4.jpg

Is Edensaw worth the drive and ferry ride?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Derek_PNW said:

Assuming superior is FAS?

Superior could mean anything. Lots of companies use various words to describe their lumber.

Even the term "FAS" doesn't necessarily mean good lumber.

I ordered a truckload of FAS red oak from a sawmill one time. What showed up was about 70% 1 common and 20% 2 common. I sent it back after going through a couple bundles.

On 4/1/2017 at 4:57 PM, freedhardwoods said:

Superior could mean anything. Lots of companies use various words to describe their lumber.

Even the term "FAS" doesn't necessarily mean good lumber.

I ordered a truckload of FAS red oak from a sawmill one time. What showed up was about 70% 1 common and 20% 2 common. I sent it back after going through a couple bundles.

Wow! That is extremely disappointing and frustrating! I believe this to not be the case with my lumber. After seeing your post I ran down to the shop and jointed the faces to see what I am dealing with under the rough sawmill marks. The boards look clear with no sap wood and only a view knots which I can cut around. I just don't know what hidden stresses are in the lumber, however Edensaw is a hardwood dealer with a great reputation up here in the PNW.

Nice shop! Better car ;) I loved my Mini Cooper convertible. Have you ran into many moisture issues in your garage? Or is it decently sealed? And that looks like a fun trip to Portland. I might need to visit that place next time I'm down there. I love the look of black walnut.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Nice shop! Better car I loved my Mini Cooper convertible. Have you ran into many moisture issues in your garage? Or is it decently sealed? And that looks like a fun trip to Portland. I might need to visit that place next time I'm down there. I love the look of black walnut.

And I might as well tell you my shop is 23'x23' But I have to share with appliances and a mini van. It's a hard life...

• Like 1