Otpional blades for Stanely #62 Low angle Jack Plane

Ronn W

Ronn it might be an idea to just buy a regular #62 blade as a spare direct from Stanley and then grind a fresh steeper bevel to achieve the 45 angle. I'm not sure of the bedding angle on your #62 but if it is 12 degrees then you need a grind of 33 (ish) on the new blade. That can be done with an Veritas MKII guide.

On my low angle Veritas smoother I have bought all three blades (to achieve 37, 45 & 50 degrees effective) preground with their respective angles to suit a variety of situations.

I'm not 100% sure about this...but I think you can use a Lie Nielsen blade for that plane...their 62 is designed based on the Stanley 62...you need to confirm that before you buy.  If Hock sells blades for the 62, those are very high quality blades and you shouldn't think twice about using them.  I'd check the LN compatibility first.

12 hours ago, Eric. said:

I'm not 100% sure about this...but I think you can use a Lie Nielsen blade for that plane...their 62 is designed based on the Stanley 62...you need to confirm that before you buy.  If Hock sells blades for the 62, those are very high quality blades and you shouldn't think twice about using them.  I'd check the LN compatibility first.

I think ths Stanely blades are unique but since both Hock and Lie Nielseon will be at Handworks I will have an answer soon.  I have also consider just regrinding the Stanley replacement blade.  Since the Mark II has positive a positive indent at 35 degress,  would 47 degrees total be acceptable?

8 hours ago, Ronn W said:

I think ths Stanely blades are unique but since both Hock and Lie Nielseon will be at Handworks I will have an answer soon.  I have also consider just regrinding the Stanley replacement blade.  Since the Mark II has positive a positive indent at 35 degress,  would 47 degrees total be acceptable?

Yes Ronn.

A 47 degree cutting angle is only helpful is you are planing straight grain without any reversals. 

With a LA jack, such as the #62, you want two blades: one with a 25 degree bevel for end grain (such as shooting), and another with either a 38- or 50 degree bevel for face- or edge grain. The latter blade is for interlocked grain. 

Do not waste your time searching for a blade with a 38- or 50 degree bevel (have you ever tried to hone a blade with a 50 degree bevel?!). Simply add a secondary micro bevel, using a honing guide, to a 25 degree bevelled blade.

Regards from Perth

Derek