Drawer front installation technique

woodcanuck

I'm working on a set of laundry room cabinets that will have drawers with slab fronts, false fronts, whatever you call them.

With the carcasses built and the drawers installed, I just need to slap the drawer fronts on I'm good to go. What I'm hung up on is the technique for installing the drawer fronts so that they are level and square to each other.

I've got three cabinets side by side with four drawers in each.

My thought is to work from the bottom up and figure out a way to temporarily install a strip to reference off of, have the drawer front sit on the reference strip, then screw them on from inside the drawer. With those in place, I might be able to use shims on top to give the 1/4" gap between drawer fronts and keep working up from there.

I'm surprised at how little I could find on this by searching the interwebs....thoughts?

I'm working on a set of laundry room cabinets that will have drawers with slab fronts, false fronts, whatever you call them.

With the carcasses built and the drawers installed, I just need to slap the drawer fronts on I'm good to go. What I'm hung up on is the technique for installing the drawer fronts so that they are level and square to each other.

I've got three cabinets side by side with four drawers in each.

My thought is to work from the bottom up and figure out a way to temporarily install a strip to reference off of, have the drawer front sit on the reference strip, then screw them on from inside the drawer. With those in place, I might be able to use shims on top to give the 1/4" gap between drawer fronts and keep working up from there.

I'm surprised at how little I could find on this by searching the interwebs....thoughts?

Get hold of some good quality double sided sticky tape. Attach a strip to your bottom drawer, peel off the top paper and carefully align your bottom drawer front press it home. Once you are certain it is stuck slowly open the drawer and then screw it tight. If you've been careful it should line up perfectly. Next close the drawer, place some more double sided on the one above, lay what ever you've decided to use as a spacer on top of the newly fixed drawer front and carefully position the next drawer front press it home and repeat as often as you need. The most important thing here is to use a good quality tape. The ones from Carpet fitters is usually the strongest. Believe me there is nothing worse than thinking it's fixed, opening the draw and watching it slowly slide to the floor as you reach for the screw driver.