Dewalt planer clogging

tom850i

On 9/1/2022 at 2:32 PM, Arborist Blair Glenn said:

I have the same problem. Great advice here. Replaced top shroud, still leaks sawdust. Fan housing next.

thank you all!

My 735 clogged up a few years ago.  It turns out, that the fan throws the chips so hard and fast that it over time wears out the shroud and it becomes so thin that it eventually breaks.  Repair is easy, remove and replace.  Take your time do it right and you won't need to do for another 10 years.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I used my new 745 for the first time yesterday. Decided to hook it up to my shop vac. Bad choice. It was totally blocked. I have removed the exit tube and vacuumed everything multiple times and it still clogs up with every pass. Anything else I can do w/o taking it apart?

Remove the 4 screws on top using the wrench provided and remove the yellow cover.  Remove the three red t head bolts and the black shroud/cover. This should give you access to the clogged problem. I would take some compressed air and remove any dust and chips along the chain route areas well. 

• Like 1

Is the planer brand new? Or just new to you?.....    And what Coop said is the right reaction, to unclog your machine.   If the planer is just new to you, there may be another reason for the clogging, and that's wear and tear on the cover of the exit for the chips.  It will wear through, you have my permission to ask how I know that little bit of info.