Oak end-grain cutting board finish

spxf1113

I built the end-grain cutting board, but I just used two types of woods I had laying around: Red oak and Walnut. I finished it with the salad bowl finish without diluting it with mineral spirits. After the 4th coat, I washed the board, the next morning I notices small black spots on the oak. The walnut was fine. I assumed this is due to the large pores in oak. I then sanded it down and started the finishing process over again. I am using the mineral spirits and salad bowl finish method. How many coats should I use?

I believe its the tannins in the oak coming out. This can/is a problem with oaks. Water-based finishes can bring this out also, if you don't seal the wood first with an alcohol cut shellac. Something to do with high PH in drinking water and water based finishes usually have a high PH (well some do). You may have an ongoing problem with this.

-Ace-

I built the end-grain cutting board, but I just used two types of woods I had laying around: Red oak and Walnut. I finished it with the salad bowl finish without diluting it with mineral spirits. After the 4th coat, I washed the board, the next morning I notices small black spots on the oak. The walnut was fine. I assumed this is due to the large pores in oak. I then sanded it down and started the finishing process over again. I am using the mineral spirits and salad bowl finish method. How many coats should I use?

I am not sure what salad bowl finish you are using. Virtually all finishes are food safe once cured. Some of those oils, never really cure, and that might be what you are seeing. I use a polyuerethane and touch it up with wiping poly. Nothing lasts forever on a cutting board, if you actually cut on it. Most that I have made are as much for decoration as utility.