Marc's Tools

I'd have to say that I have long been a fan of Festool, even before stumbling upon TWW. I mean how many of us upon watching a Domino demo have had a "I could have had a V8" smack to the head-type response. Clearly Festool is a wonderful system. However in contemplating my next big purchase (a cabinet style 10" table saw) I have been led to falter from my strict Delta Unisaw leanings and consider Powermatic. Of course Marc's vids are to blame.

He hasn't influenced any purchases yet but I have started checking out festool more lately...

I've been using Dewalt for years (a friend who is a pro carpenter swears by Dewalt) so no influence there.

I always liked Powermatic, just can't afford what I want from them (the drill press is nice) right now, so I can't say he influenced me much there.

So the answer is no presently. If I decide to start down the festool slope then I would say yes. I wish they were still a sponsor of his though.

-Jim

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread. I've been greatly influenced by Marc's choices. His dedication to the craft, his playfulness in what could be a very dry field, his dedication to safety, and yes his choices in tools to a lesser extent.

Being in the beginning stages of tool acquisition, I've got the opportunity to start with a fresh page, and some of my choices have been influenced by Marc and the others on this board. I picked up the same model respirator when I saw how well it worked for him, I wear respiratory protection at work and I understand the value of a good fit. I also just got the Jet spindle sander, and Marc's regard for it did weigh in my decision. I got the Starret 4" square. I'm very close to getting one of the Festool plunge saws. Was his recommendation the sole factor towards those purchases? No, but it did weigh into my consideration of each and their merits.