Marc's Tools

I have not purchased any major tools, aside from my Random Orbit and DeWalt planer (the DW735). These were not so much influenced by Marc, as decisions based on information gleaned from all of the associated sites, the people that frequent them, and the tips and skills put onto the videos offered.

One of the things I have noticed is that Marc does not typically push the bigger tools, but he will push (courtesy of the reviews) the smaller jigs and "mini-tools" that make using the larger tools easier. The only specific brand that comes to mind is the Oneway dial indicator. Everything else seems to have been a matter of "if you are in the market for a tool, these are some of the points you should be looking for."

I do have several purchases planned, and they do include several of the objects used, but they are not (necessarily) the larger tools. What I appreciate most is that my eyes have been opened to other sources of tools than I had previously considered (including a drill press from 1970 that I'm seriously considering from a local tool supply store), and that I have started to consider what I want out of the tool more than having the exact same tool as somebody I've seen on video.

I think it's more important to know how to use the tool, than to get what you see on the screen.

But I still want to pass along my thanks.

As a hobbyist I could never justify the tools that Marc uses, but last month when Woodcraft had a sale on the Earlex HVLP unit, I went back to Marc's video. After watching it again, I splurged and bought the HV5000. It is sitting patiently while I finish my mom's bathroom vanity, so I can't say how well it will work for me. But Marc said it worked for him, so that is good enough for me. Without Marc's review, I think I'd still be looking forward to either brushing or wiping.

Dave O

I already finished upgrading my stationary tools when I finally stumbled across the first WW site.

My TS was a gift from my wife and daughters, and while it wasn't the one I had chosen, it works very well. It is a Craftsman cabinet/contractor saw. (I know, not a favorite brand around here). The rest of my stationary tools I chose based on recommendations from friends and co workers. My bandsaw was purchased on recommendation of the tool dealer.

Marc has definately made me look at the Festool line, and I will be purchasing something Festool when the budget allows.

Festool was a supporter for almost 2 years. Now I still have a good relationship with Festool (awesome people), but we have no financial relationship. When they stopped sponsoring us, I had a big decision to make. Should I stop using their tools on the show to protect the "value" of a sponsorship? Or should I just go about my business, using the tools I love? If you've been watching the show for the past year or two, you know the answer to that. I am not shy about showing my Festool gear. Perhaps I'll never get a sponsorship from them again, due to the fact that they already receive so much free advertising. But this is a risk I'm willing to take, and the responses in this thread reaffirm my decision. The minute my advice is interpreted as "tainted" somehow, its game over.

That was by far the best choice you could have made, Marc. By not continuing to use Festool tools you might have protected the "value" of a sponsorship, but you would have trashed the value of your name.

So I am curious how much Marc's tools influence your purchases? Are you like me and you see Marc demoing a product and you think "Wow, I definitely need that!" or "I can't build that piece without that tool!"

Marc is awesome about showing us several different techniques on each and every project, and he is the first to say "you don't necessarily need this" or "you can do the same thing with this tool, or this one".

So what have you purchased or drooled over that Marc has?

Full disclosure: My new JessEm Mast-R-Lift arrived this week!!

Well, um, I did kinda order that pattern bit from William Ng the other day. I'm guilty as charged.

Dave

I forgot about that.... I did the same thing, but I think I recently read some where that the pretty pink filters aren't going to be made anymore.

I too bought the same respirator after seeing Marc's podcast on it. I also met him at Highland Woodworking as we were both seeing the GRR-Ripper being demonstrated.

And fortunately, this forum is full of "helpful neighbors" and no false pretense. Pretty much the kind of place I like to spend my time. So thank you all for being helpful and enthusiastic in this regard.

Marc,

You've struck a cord with me here. I used to vist and post on another forum. Anyway, as many of you know I am the world's biggest SawStop TS supporter. I love my SS TS. Anyway, another forum I belonged to gave me a bunch of flack about it. The tool snobs that hang out there tried to tell me that SawStop is only for idiots and amateurs. One went so far as to say its not a "real" table saw. ... "Really?" I thought. Suffices to say, I don't post or read there anymore. The tool snobs really started to bore me. By the way, the tool snobs also mocked my Ridgid spindle sander. Obviously it would be impossible to buy anything worth having from a big box store like Home Depot (said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.) I would argue that dollar for dollar my Ridgid Spindle sander is the best and most versitle sanding dollar I ever spent.

I don't argue that some tools are better than others. But by the same token, some budgets are larger than others as well. I've seen guys with a pull saw and a decent hand plane turn out some real works of art.

Marc,

You've struck a cord with me here. I used to vist and post on another forum. Anyway, as many of you know I am the world's biggest SawStop TS supporter. I love my SS TS. Anyway, another forum I belonged to gave me a bunch of flack about it. The tool snobs that hang out there tried to tell me that SawStop is only for idiots and amateurs. One went so far as to say its not a "real" table saw. ... "Really?" I thought. Suffices to say, I don't post or read there anymore. The tool snobs really started to bore me. By the way, the tool snobs also mocked my Ridgid spindle sander. Obviously it would be impossible to buy anything worth having from a big box store like Home Depot (said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.) I would argue that dollar for dollar my Ridgid Spindle sander is the best and most versitle sanding dollar I ever spent.

I don't argue that some tools are better than others. But by the same token, some budgets are larger than others as well. I've seen guys with a pull saw and a decent hand plane turn out some real works of art.

That is the biggest difference I've seen in other forums vs this community. We really are a community. We revel in each other's accomplishments. While you are able to get honest feedback on any project, it is never delivered in a nasty tone. Everyone here wants the same thing. A place to learn and grow AND THIS IS THE PLACE!! There is no right or wrong here...just different ways to tackle the same problems. I love this community and am thoroughly grateful that Marc and Nicole have put so much on the line to create it.

• Like 1

I already finished upgrading my stationary tools when I finally stumbled across the first WW site.

My TS was a gift from my wife and daughters, and while it wasn't the one I had chosen, it works very well. It is a Craftsman cabinet/contractor saw. (I know, not a favorite brand around here). The rest of my stationary tools I chose based on recommendations from friends and co workers. My bandsaw was purchased on recommendation of the tool dealer.

Marc has definately made me look at the Festool line, and I will be purchasing something Festool when the budget allows.

Mike,

There's no shame in owning Craftsman Products. My first Table saw was a portable craftsman and was a gift from my father. (I still have it.) My second was a Craftsman contractor saw and it was a gift from my wife. I built some great stuff with that saw. It wasn't until about 3 years ago when my wife strongly suggested I get the SawStop Cabinet Saw. (You see why I love her.... She's knows sports too... I'm a lucky man.) Anyhow I sold the Craftsman contractor saw, but I still have a Craftsman 14" bandsaw that I got for a song, and a Craftsman Random Orbit sander. I've never been disatisfied with either.

I'm happy with the Craftsman saw. Happier than I thought I'd be. The saw I had before that one was an old Craftsman contractor type, with sheet metal wings, and a direct drive motor. It was a pile of crap. The saw I chose was a Delta cabinet saw, but when my wife saw the sale on the Craftsman, she ordered it.

Next saw will be either a Delta Unisaw, or a Powermatic. I'll consider a Saw Stop as well. That will be a few years, though.

I haven't bought anything because Marc uses it in his videos. There is one thing I've been meaning to do for a few years, just haven't gotten around to it. In one of his early videos, I saw Marc using a DW 621 plunge router & he had this coupling attached to the DC port that I hadn't seen before. I have the same router & I use my shop vac with a 1.5"(?) vacuum hose. The coupler he had on his router allowed him to connect a 2.5" hose, and it seemed he had better dust collection because of that. I emailed him about it at what was then just WoodTalk & he mentioned he just went to a BORG & got a coupler from there.

That was about 4 or 5 years ago & I've yet to get the coupler. I don't go to HD very often & when I do, picking up that coupler just doesn't come to mind. One of these days I'll remember . . .

Tony

I'll confess to getting a little 4" Starrett double square. Nothing past that, though.

-- Russ

Me too. But I got the Veritas version this past Christmas. (But I think that is it...I think.)

I would argue that dollar for dollar my Ridgid Spindle sander is the best and most versitle sanding dollar I ever spent.

Chet, I've been eyeing that sander up for a while now. I appriciate your thoughts. It has gotten great reviews...I don't understand some forum cultures..."whatever" I say, and move on. It's just not worth my time or effort. This is a very nice community. And I am glad to be part of it.

Jerry S

You know, a thread like this does my heart good. On more than a few occasions, I have been accused of pushing product and it always freaks me out a little. Being honest about tools and purchases has been a top priority since day one. Some of you may be interested in hearing some of the back story on the brands you see on the show. When we first decided to pursue sponsors, Nicole and I sat down and laid out the game plan. Her suggestion was to first go after the companies I really believed in. Obviously, life becomes a whole lot easier when you truly believe in the tools you are using. She asked me, "Who would be your dream team?". Well, I thought about my current tools, and it was pretty clear that Powermatic was my personal choice in large power tools. In the portable category, I had quite a few DeWalt tools, but I was really getting the most bang for my buck out of the Festool line. The TS55 and the MFT could have perhaps been the smartest investments I had made in my business up to that point. So the decision was easy. Lucky for us, both companies were willing to play ball. Fortunately, Powermatic has been a supporter ever since. Festool was a supporter for almost 2 years. Now I still have a good relationship with Festool (awesome people), but we have no financial relationship. When they stopped sponsoring us, I had a big decision to make. Should I stop using their tools on the show to protect the "value" of a sponsorship? Or should I just go about my business, using the tools I love? If you've been watching the show for the past year or two, you know the answer to that. I am not shy about showing my Festool gear. Perhaps I'll never get a sponsorship from them again, due to the fact that they already receive so much free advertising. But this is a risk I'm willing to take, and the responses in this thread reaffirm my decision. The minute my advice is interpreted as "tainted" somehow, its game over.

I am by no means a tool expert. I use what works and I avoid the stuff that doesn't. I like to think of myself as a helpful neighbor who's opinion you can trust. And fortunately, this forum is full of "helpful neighbors" and no false pretense. Pretty much the kind of place I like to spend my time. So thank you all for being helpful and enthusiastic in this regard.

Anyway, too many words and I'm supposed to be editing video right now. peace!

Marc- I think the main thing is that while people may or may not be purchase items you use, we are certainly all influenced by your choices and opinions. I have so much respect for you when you stop a video and point out an error you made in the shop (Wow, if I did that each time--I'd never get anything done!) I guess my point is--you show us step by step that anyone of us can do this and we are all going to make mistakes--and that's okay!

I was worried after I started this post that perhaps I had opened a can of worms. Perhaps marketing wise, you don't want to see a thread like this. But the truth is it just goes to prove how much we respect your honest approach.

(and yes I have been influenced by you and the rest of the guildies here!)

So I am curious how much Marc's tools influence your purchases?

Honestly, not at all. There are some tools where we overlap, but in most of those cases I either had them before I found the WoodWhisperer stuff, or they just ended up being the ones I was looking at (Jet/Performax and Jet parallel clamps for instance). Mostly I just don't have the money or sponsorship to buy a lot of Festool or Powermatic stuff ;).

The only things where I got that exact item because Marc had it was the respirator,

Ah right, apparently I lied in my previous post. I did buy a same brand respirator after watching him use it. I was tired of having my glasses get fogged up and when I saw his with the bottom exhaust it did stimulate a purchase. It's more comfortable than my old one too.