Marc's Tools

So I am curious how much Marc's tools influence your purchases? Are you like me and you see Marc demoing a product and you think "Wow, I definitely need that!" or "I can't build that piece without that tool!"

Marc is awesome about showing us several different techniques on each and every project, and he is the first to say "you don't necessarily need this" or "you can do the same thing with this tool, or this one".

So what have you purchased or drooled over that Marc has?

Full disclosure: My new JessEm Mast-R-Lift arrived this week!!

I bought a Festool cuz of him.

What influences my buying decisions are posts on a couple forums (and, honestly, you have to filter from who the recommendations come from), Marc, Roger Savatteri, and Charles Neil. Doesn't mean you don't research it, but at least you have a pretty good idea it will work.

Marc also influenced around 6 tee shirt purchases. ;)

The Shaq T-shirt with optional salad dressing stain decor became a real hit in my house hold! :lol:

I had never used or even thought of using a wiping poly until he mentioned it and seen him use it so many times so he did influence my finishing methods and for the better I must say.

To tell you the truth...I don't think marc demo's that many products. In other words, he's more of a project oriented podcaster-I like that. On your original question. I realize that mark is a professional woodworker not a hobby guy. I don't see myself buying a powermatic. I have bought the festool track saw because I don't have a jam up table saw.

The only things where I got that exact item because Marc had it was the respirator, the GRRR-Ripper, and the OneWay gauge. I got bench cookies because I saw them in a woodworking show video he did, and many people in the forum said they were cool. Almost everything I own was influenced by Marc and the forum, but I don't have the same exact model as Marc. Oh, and I have WoodWhisperer brand push-sticks.

[ edit - I keep adding things to the list as I remember them! This post started as "The only thing ..."]

Marc has definitely been a big influence on certain tools that I buy nessecarly the brand but the type of tool in general, I guess when he is your main teacher of woodworking the things he does and use are going to effect how you pursue the craft.

Thanks Marc

not gonna lie....Marc has had a big influence on my tool purchases. GRR Ripper is an example. furthermore, after watching what he does with his table saw made me realize i needed to step it up from my craftsman, so i bought a sawstop. i pretty much purchased a ridgid jointer, planer, and bandsaw with hopes of upgrading to powermatic in the future (after seeing how nice the powermatic stuff he uses is). I am strongly considering a JessEm router lift and festool domino in the future as well. so in short, Marc has had an influence on my purchases. i like the way Marc tells it like it is. he isn't swayed by dollars and cents. he isn't trying to make friends with one tool company or another. if a product is good, he uses it and recommends it....if it's not, he lets you know his feelings as to why.

I started going through Marc's videos this past August. I haven't bought any new power tools (yet) since then. What I have been purchasing is hand tools. Before watching Marc, I watched a lot of Norm and Scott Philips. What I have realized from watching Marc is that there is a lot hand tooling going on behind the scenes that we don't necessarily see on TV.

I have been buying new chisels, and will start looking at planes in the near future.

as someone building a new shop from the slab up, i'm influenced both by marc and the quality posters here. quality isimportant, but so is sound financial reason. i never get the sense that marc pushes PM or Festool, it's just what he uses in his business and what he's comfortable with. i definitely don't get the tool snob vibe here that i get when reading other forums. basically the safest tool you can afford, whether it's a hand tool, power tool or floor machine. PM is awesome, but you can probably get the most bang for you buck with Grizzly, and the money you save can go into a Saw Stop, better dust collection and/or hand tools your grandkids/great grandkids can use. You can also get by with Bosch, Dewalt, Rigid, etc. rather than Festool. Probably the only areas of non-comprise for me are safety devices, measuring/market/layout tools, and blades. That and the first I built was a reference library.

You know, a thread like this does my heart good. On more than a few occasions, I have been accused of pushing product and it always freaks me out a little. Being honest about tools and purchases has been a top priority since day one. Some of you may be interested in hearing some of the back story on the brands you see on the show. When we first decided to pursue sponsors, Nicole and I sat down and laid out the game plan. Her suggestion was to first go after the companies I really believed in. Obviously, life becomes a whole lot easier when you truly believe in the tools you are using. She asked me, "Who would be your dream team?". Well, I thought about my current tools, and it was pretty clear that Powermatic was my personal choice in large power tools. In the portable category, I had quite a few DeWalt tools, but I was really getting the most bang for my buck out of the Festool line. The TS55 and the MFT could have perhaps been the smartest investments I had made in my business up to that point. So the decision was easy. Lucky for us, both companies were willing to play ball. Fortunately, Powermatic has been a supporter ever since. Festool was a supporter for almost 2 years. Now I still have a good relationship with Festool (awesome people), but we have no financial relationship. When they stopped sponsoring us, I had a big decision to make. Should I stop using their tools on the show to protect the "value" of a sponsorship? Or should I just go about my business, using the tools I love? If you've been watching the show for the past year or two, you know the answer to that. I am not shy about showing my Festool gear. Perhaps I'll never get a sponsorship from them again, due to the fact that they already receive so much free advertising. But this is a risk I'm willing to take, and the responses in this thread reaffirm my decision. The minute my advice is interpreted as "tainted" somehow, its game over.

I am by no means a tool expert. I use what works and I avoid the stuff that doesn't. I like to think of myself as a helpful neighbor who's opinion you can trust. And fortunately, this forum is full of "helpful neighbors" and no false pretense. Pretty much the kind of place I like to spend my time. So thank you all for being helpful and enthusiastic in this regard.

Anyway, too many words and I'm supposed to be editing video right now. peace!