Lumber rack support spacing

So I'm finally taking a big step in cleaning up and organizing my shop and want to put up some lumber racks. Is there a recommended standard for how far apart the supports should be (horizontally)? I was thinking about 3' but didn't know if I should put them closer together.

I must have missed something.  Eric's answer was an answer to your question, although maybe not explicit.  You asked how far apart to space the supports (horizontally).  He answered every stud - meaning every 16".  3' is not bad.  2' is also good.  16" (every wall stud) is a convenient spacing if there are existing wall studs you will be using to attach your supports.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jfitz said:

I must have missed something.  Eric's answer was an answer to your question, although maybe not explicit.  You asked how far apart to space the supports (horizontally).  He answered every stud - meaning every 16".  3' is not bad.  2' is also good.  16" (every wall stud) is a convenient spacing if there are existing wall studs you will be using to attach your supports.

I typed the answer to his post before your post loaded on the screen. Yes, I will be attaching my supports to the wall via studs. I may end up going every two studs (32") but we'll see what I have lumber for in that regard. I won't have SUPER heavy loads on them but I want it to be sturdy and not allow the boards to bow while sitting on them.

I would not be comfortable with either of these loads with less than every stud. Personally. Even like this they still make me nervous, even though I'm sure they're fine. It's a lot of weight.

00a5df752ecc416059fedc4caffefc14.jpg74e6344338eafa7fb3fc179541e37f5c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Also make sure you're using lag screws (mine are 1/4" I believe, maybe even 5/16")...do NOT use drywall screws.

I wouldn't even dream of using drywall screws for something like this. I've got a package of 1/4" lag bolts in the garage just waiting for this install.

Side note... I met a guy once who had a lumber rack on his wall installed with drywall anchors and one or two screws in studs where it was 'convenient'. Judging by the amount of lumber on the wall, I'm surprised it was holding... but he'd only had them up for a few weeks so who knows what happened after that.

Just now, MisterDrow said:

1" dowels sticking out at a slight upward angle

I would reconsider doing that.  Build it right.  Marc has a video somewhere deep in the archives.  It's an easy project and you'll be able to fill the rack as much as you want.  I wouldn't trust those dowels to hold more than a couple boards.

Remember...your lumber collection will grow...so you might as well prepare for the future.  Even if you move you can take it down and put it in the new shop.

• Like 1

I also would caution against dowels. The idea is sound though.  For mine, I used metal conduit - I think it was 3/4" EMT conduit.  My rack also won't see the amount of use as Eric's, but at 16" spacing I'm confident it'll hold a lot of weight.  Many wood species are in the range of 40-50 lbs/cubic foot .... I don't know what the right numbers are for different support types, but keep it in mind for how much wood you're planning on possibly putting on each support.

Here's mine.  Note - the 2x4's extend all the way to the floor...it's not a 'free hanging' system.

5970ef969148d_Newrack3.JPG.8ada0071a623593c4ca9f8b3d03fecf4.JPG

• Like 1

Maybe I will reconsider the design... for now, due to budget constraints, I will have to make due with the materials I have on hand. If that means I make storage for the smaller, lighter pieces (like the pile of reclaimed cedar I have) to get them off of the floor and out of the way and tackle the heavier-duty stuff later so be it. I think I can still make it more sturdy like you suggest with what I've got, though. If I don't start organizing things now I'll end up with an even bigger mess than I've already got in no time as I work on this new desk. I've put this off for way too long and just have to take some action.

Not an ideal situation but it is what it is. If that means that six months down the line I'm ripping it out to put something better in, I'm okay with that.

@Jfitz I like the idea of using conduit instead of dowels... I'll have to look into the costs of that and if I can make that happen, I will. Otherwise, I'll work on a more sturdy solution than the dowels with what I have.

I don't mean to sound dismissive of the advice given here, either. I hope my responses didn't come across that way. I'll definitely make things as sturdy as I can with what I have and if I can't make something sufficiently sturdy to hold the wood I want it to, I'll figure something else out in the interim until I can go spend a little bit of money at the borg for the proper setup. I don't want to half-ass this if I am going to do it... I just really need to get SOMETHING in place right away.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

A few 2x4s and the cheapest sheet of 3/4" ply you can find won't cost much at all...less than a hundred bucks for sure...and that's all the materials you need for a very robust rack.  Oh...and like half a gallon of glue. LOL (not really that much, but probably more than one of those little bottles)

• Like 1

Just now, Eric. said:

Oh...and like half a gallon of glue.

And ball bearings. It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric. said:

Even like this they still make me nervous, even though I'm sure they're fine. It's a lot of weight.

When I first looked at the picture, I thinking yea, thats a good sturdy rack.  Then I see you beautiful hand tool rack and the tools under it and now I am nervous for you. :o

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chet said:

When I first looked at the picture, I thinking yea, thats a good sturdy rack.  Then I see you beautiful hand tool rack and the tools under it and now I am nervous for you. :o

Well it's been loaded like that for something like six years or so now...so I figure if I was gonna have a problem, it would have happened by now.  But if you wanna keep praying for my tool cabinet, I won't stop you. :D

• Like 2