Drill Press Tune up

rodger.

Want to tune up the drill press, and i checked the press for runout using a dial indicator and forstner bit. I would really like something better to do this task, but am not sure what to use. A "drill rod" would  be ideal, but I dont know where to get one (amazon.com is no good for Canadians, mostly). What do you guys use to check for run-out, or to square the table, with your indicator?

I placed a drill bit in the chuck and used a wixey digital angle gauge to square the table, but I would like to double check it with a starrett square and drill rod or something suitable.

Well, I found the solution. I called a local industrial company, and ordered a 1/2" diameter jobber length (6") drill blank. It is tolerant to 0.0003" over its length. I should receive it today, so I'll let everyone know how it goes! I used a company called CCS industries, but it should be available at places like Fastenal as well.

• Like 1