Getting a proper stain on Maple Plywood

almosthere

Hi folks,

Working on my first woodworking project, a dining room table.  Bought some Maple Plywood and tried staining it with an oil based minwax branded stain but it came out in patches. Tried it 4x times but it never took properly.  Today I sanded again at 150, and then used a gel stain and tried that out. A little better but I still can't seem to get an even stain.  Any ideas on how I can fix it?

Unknown.jpeg

Spraying a stain or dye in thin layers and gradually approaching the level of color you desire. Spray on / leave on stains are usually sold at pro finish suppliers. General Finishes has some water based dyes that can be wiped on. Some gel stains can be put on in layers to achieve the darkness you want. 

Practice on scrap ! I would use the stains & sandpaper you used on the top to prep the scrap before you test the new finishes.

• Like 2

I see no need to. But use the samestain and sanding to prep some scraps for practice/testing of the new stain/dye. General's dye has a reducer/ extender available. You can use it to thin out the intensity of the color and then use a few coats to sneak up on the color you want. Layers help hide any imperfections if you are wiping or spraying. Ask about the appropriate thinner if you get a spray grade stain. Spraying stain can create clouds of mist that will color anything they settle on. We cover all the cast iron and unused wood in the shop before spraying. Be aware of flame/ explosion risks. If you work outside cars and driveways can become stained.