Blowing out irrigation system for winter

bleedinblue

1 minute ago, legenddc said:

Not having an irrigation system, how much does it cost to have it cleared of water?

Not much.  They do it with our backflow inspection every fall and I think the bill is always less than $150.  I'm guessing to just do the winterization, they'd probably charge an hours labor, probably $75'ish.

1 minute ago, bleedinblue said:

Not much.  They do it with our backflow inspection every fall and I think the bill is always less than $150.  I'm guessing to just do the winterization, they'd probably charge an hours labor, probably $75'ish.

That's what I paid the last time I had it done which in my opinion is well worth it....except as bleedinblue discovered they work on their schedule and I found, like three years in a row, we were getting hard freezes prior to them coming out so I just started doing it myself so I could do it when I wanted to.

Yeah, if this goes well there is no reason to spend the $75 a year, plus carve out time to be home, to have them come do it.  Still gotta have the yearly inspection done though. 

Worst case scenario I screw it up, don't know it, and my whole system explodes this winter :D  I think as soon as the compressor situation is resolved it'll be fine though. 

I think we're in better shape than i thought. One of the test cocks is before the shut off for the backflow, which was in the off position all along. Water would have sprayed out the test cock onto the side of the house, but SHOULDN'T have made it past that shutoff valve and would have been kept out of the backflow preventer. I don't think I need to blow out the whole system at all.

20171025_125740.jpg

For freezeproofing pressure washers, I put a half gallon of RV antifreeze in a water hose, hook it to the inlet on the pressure washer, attach the hose to a hydrant, turn the water on, hold the trigger on a wand on, and when pink foam comes out of the wand, let the trigger go, unhook the hose, and you're good until nice weather comes back.