Rockler dovetail jig?

Nick2cd

Im not sure if im posting this is the right place, so mods, please move if necessary. I would like to get a dovetail jig. just like most of you here, i recently got the new rockler catalog with their dovetail jig on the cover. the complete kit is on sale for $119 which seems like a great deal. it comes with a brass bushing, router bit, and the jig itself. does anyone have any experience with this jig? hard to pass up this price.

I've got one and it does work but...you get what you pay for. If you really understand dovetails and how they go together then this jig will work for you and you'll be able to understand it. I didn't understand it at first and the directions that came with it were vague to say the least plus one of the alignment parts was mis-marked so needless to say I couldn't get a nice fitting joint to save my life. After hours of fiddling with it I finally was able to cut a nice half-blind dovetail in 3/4 inch stock. I haven't touched the jig since and now that's the only joint I cut with it.

In Rockler's defense I've heard all of the problems I experienced have been corrected and there is even a You Tube video on how to set up the jig. Knowing what I know now though I would probably have saved my pennies and bought either the Leigh or Porter Cable jigs.

I own the Rockler half blind jig. In my opinion, it's not different that the $49 harbor freight half blind jig. I've used both, and both work, and fail in the same ways.

The Porter Cable omni jigs are better, and the Leigh jigs are real nice.

I think for versitility, you just cant beat the Keller jig.

And of course, for $120 you can get a Lie Neilsen dovetail saw, and cut what ever, when ever you want too

Just my 2 cents

I own the Rockler half blind jig. In my opinion, it's not different that the $49 harbor freight half blind jig. I've used both, and both work, and fail in the same ways.

The Porter Cable omni jigs are better, and the Leigh jigs are real nice.

I think for versitility, you just cant beat the Keller jig.

And of course, for $120 you can get a Lie Neilsen dovetail saw, and cut what ever, when ever you want too

Just my 2 cents

Or a leevally for $70. Leaves money for a marking gauge, a chisel or two and practice wood :)

But to the OP's quesiton. I've got the porter cable 4216 that comes with the extra bit and template to do more joints besides just half blind. If you want a jig you can usually find a used PC 4212 or 4216 fairly cheap. They have the added bonus of the very handy "advanced manual" on pc's site that shows lots of other stuff you can do. And the templates are made of cnc aluminum instead of plastic. Which for durability in the long run is a big plus to me.

Of course after getting a veritas dovetail saw and other dovetail goodies for Christmas the only thing the pc jig has done is gather dust. If I had to 100+ dovetails I might want a jig but I just finished up the drawers for a dresser by hand. And I must say it feels so much better doing them by hand.

DeGauss,

this is a nice offer and one i will consider. my only concern is that one of the above posters stated that the jig has been updated to fix the flaws it once had. i hate to get older technology that will give me trouble. i have literally never cut a dovetail in my life so i need all the help i can get hahaha