Overhead air filter placement in relation to garage heater?

Russell Thompson

Hey everyone! Looking to finally get a better solution to heating the garage than a 100lb propane tank and heater, so I'm thinking of going nat gas in the upper corner closest to the door (corner wall, shares one common wall with the house) Just wondering about placement of the air filter system that sorts fine particles. I don't want to be overly concerned about sawdust getting up there because I have decent dust collection, but there are times it does get airborne. Anybody put theirs pretty close by to their heater?? Thinking maybe like 6-8' away with the air flowing towards the heater (post filtering) Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it! 

-Russ

Just something to consider . . . The air coming out of the air cleaner (if you are talking about a ceiling mounted air cleaner like Jet, Rikon, JDS, Powermatic, etc.) only filters down to 1 micron. That means the air exiting the air cleaner could potentially contain anything smaller than 1 micron. Don't know if that makes a difference with the heater or not.

• 1 year later...

I use a Mr. Heater #MH40NG and keep it in the lower 60s all winter(Chicago) and up to 70 when I'm out there. It is natural gas however. Open garage door and it will heat back up in a matter of minutes. I'd probably go with the MH35LP for quicker heating and efficiency. A 4-9000 BTU will take quite a long time to raise temps back up. But alas, we don't know where you are from so perhaps your winters aren't as severe. You should really match btu to your square footage and temperate zone. Read this guide if you interested to learn more about propane garage heaters!

QIP Shot - Screen 070.jpeg

Mr. Heater is an IFR heater, it is a spot heater and heats the surface of the floor or whatever is in direct line of the IFR. It doesn't heat the air. If you see them in a shop, the heater is aimed at the workstation and heats the person and the solid material in front of it. Stand in front of an IFR heater and then step off to the side. You will be cold. In sunlight, the interior of a car as the dash will be warm due to the IFR but the air will be cold. I used to represent the parent company, Enerco. BTW, IFR heaters operate at about 98% efficiency on gas.

If you want to heat a shop, forced air will warm the air but will take a while to heat the solid items. I have to rely on two small electric heaters and takes a while to heat the shop so it is tolerable to work for a while.