Are there schools, or degrees for Woodworking?

Doomie

If I wanted to take my passion past a hobbie and into a job or own buisness, are there college's or trade schools that offer programs or degree's in Woodwork? Getting out of the military soon and have this GI bill to use so I would prefer a University to Major in another degree as a backup. Or perhaps the only way to get into the buisness is work under someone else and learn the trade that way. Also, what are the terms, or job titles a person holds in this line of work, a Master Carpenter? Any and all help would be appreciated.I have had trouble finding anything on line about this or schools that offer Woodwork as a degree. How have you guys and gals got into the buisiness?

If I wanted to take my passion past a hobbie and into a job or own buisness, are there college's or trade schools that offer programs or degree's in Woodwork? Getting out of the military soon and have this GI bill to use so I would prefer a University to Major in another degree as a backup. Or perhaps the only way to get into the buisness is work under someone else and learn the trade that way. Also, what are the terms, or job titles a person holds in this line of work, a Master Carpenter? Any and all help would be appreciated.I have had trouble finding anything on line about this or schools that offer Woodwork as a degree. How have you guys and gals got into the buisiness?

There are many schools or courses you can take across the country and they vary depending on the style you would like to work with. I have attended only one and that was the Marc Adams schools of Woodworking in Indiana. I like it because they have so many diverse things to try. Marc is an awesome guy, I guess all Marcs are pretty cool, and I learned more in one week in the course I took that I had trying it myself for years. It's family run and when you leave you feel like you've been invited to join their family as well. The staff is awesome and hands on helpful. He has instructors come there for week long courses from all over the world and some of the most talented you will find. I thing the link is www.marcadams.com but you can google it and check out his courses for the year. I'll be there 3 or 4 times this year if the Lord allows. They offer master and journeyman certification after you complete the proper classes and apprenticeship project. Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave,

Great link. My wife's brother's family live in Fort Wayne, IN. Not far from Marc Adams.

If I pitch the concept right, I'm hoping to get out to one of these later this year and combine it with family time for my bride.

The one I'd really like to go attend is the Handplanes weekend class May 14, 15. However, it falls right between my real job's sales meeting and my annual golf trip. ... Not the best timing. But it isn't out of the question, yet.

If I sign up I'll let you know and maybe I can meet you there. Perhaps you could bring that Kapex we were talking about, that way I wouldn't need the self address stamped envelope.

Dave,

Great link. My wife's brother's family live in Fort Wayne, IN. Not far from Marc Adams.

If I pitch the concept right, I'm hoping to get out to one of these later this year and combine it with family time for my bride.

The one I'd really like to go attend is the Handplanes weekend class May 14, 15. However, it falls right between my real job's sales meeting and my annual golf trip. ... Not the best timing. But it isn't out of the question, yet.

If I sign up I'll let you know and maybe I can meet you there. Perhaps you could bring that Kapex we were talking about, that way I wouldn't need the self address stamped envelope.

That would be awesome! I'll look up the dates I'm already signed up for and message you with them. I signed up for a class with Tom Strangeland for Greene and Greene and Darrel Pearl for Greene and Greene as well. I have a couple of others in there but I don't recall the exact dates. The hand plane weekend I did was awesome and I'm sure you'll love it. I'll msg. you with the dates tonight. Oh, and if you can make it I'll bring the kapex. That extra freight would just make it a deal breakerohmy.gif.

Dave

Joshua,

There are plenty of places to learn woodworking and furniture making, but it's a whole different story if you want an accredited degree. Since you're in North Carolina, you need to check out Haywood Community College. They hold their own against all the big schools when it comes to design competitions, and some of their grads are Niche award winners.

Their website is http://www.haywood.edu/ and the program chair for the Professional Crafts: Wood program is Brian Wurst. You graduate with an Associate in arts

Hope this helps

The University of Rio Grande in Southeast Ohio Offers one-, two-, and four-year degree programs in Fine Woodworking. Our students have won top awards in the last two Fresh Wood competitions. http://www.rio.edu/finewoodworking/

The University of Rio Grande in Southeast Ohio Offers one-, two-, and four-year degree programs in Fine Woodworking. Our students have won top awards in the last two Fresh Wood competitions. http://www.rio.edu/finewoodworking/

I also was going to mention this, but not as positively. I actually decided against going there due to several "dropped" conversations with them. I had attempted for nearly six months to find out such information as how to register, tuition, courses offered for the current semester, and requirements.

I cannot deny the quality of the work I have seen out of the students.

One other school to consider is the John C. Campbell Folk School, located in Brasstown, North Carolina. I got their catalogue a month ago, and just perused it (again) this morning. Classes are set up as weekend, Sunday through Friday, and Sunday through Saturday. There are a couple longer class settings, as well. Tuition (at first glance) runs from $300 to $600, room and board not included. Their website is https://www.folkschool.org/ . Classes are available all year long. It's not a degree-based school, but they do have several different areas of study available.

I also was going to mention this, but not as positively. I actually decided against going there due to several "dropped" conversations with them. I had attempted for nearly six months to find out such information as how to register, tuition, courses offered for the current semester, and requirements.

I cannot deny the quality of the work I have seen out of the students.

One other school to consider is the John C. Campbell Folk School, located in Brasstown, North Carolina. I got their catalogue a month ago, and just perused it (again) this morning. Classes are set up as weekend, Sunday through Friday, and Sunday through Saturday. There are a couple longer class settings, as well. Tuition (at first glance) runs from $300 to $600, room and board not included. Their website is https://www.folkschool.org/ . Classes are available all year long. It's not a degree-based school, but they do have several different areas of study available.

I will admit that our Admissions and Records offices can drop the ball sometimes. However, please judge the program by the program benefits, not by the non-academic staff. As you said, the quality of the work cannot be denied.