Well Dang.

Marmotjr

I love that Thuya Burl.  Make sure your tools are plenty sharp.  I had the edge of one explode on me, right by the cap end.  I was able to make a repair, but not one that I'm truly happy with.  In the end, the wood is gorgeous.  The other thing I was warned about is that it is oily.  It was recommended to me to clean with denatured alcohol before finishing (I usually use mineral spirits), especially since I don't use a CA finish on my pens.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SirNot said:

I love that Thuya Burl.  Make sure your tools are plenty sharp.  I had the edge of one explode on me, right by the cap end.  I was able to make a repair, but not one that I'm truly happy with.  In the end, the wood is gorgeous.  The other thing I was warned about is that it is oily.  It was recommended to me to clean with denatured alcohol before finishing (I usually use mineral spirits), especially since I don't use a CA finish on my pens.

I'm a CA guy, as I intend the pens to be used, but that is all good info, thank you for the heads up!!!

15 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

I'm a CA guy, as I intend the pens to be used, but that is all good info, thank you for the heads up!!!

I just can't get the hang of using CA for my finish.  The first few I did came out uneven, to say the least.  Then when I finally got one that I liked the finish on, I must have put it on too thick because the finish cracked when the pen was dropped.  I've tried both thin and medium CA to no avail.  Any tips?

I've been using medium Insta Flex CA.  Comes in your standard CA bottle of various suppliers, but is of the Insta flex variety.   Kinda hard to find IMO.  But it's rubberized CA, so it's npt as brittle and has a slight give to it.  Comfortable to hold.  It's not like a latex rubbery, but it just doesn't feel rough. 

I just run the lathe as fast as I dare so that it won't splatter (that sucks, a line of CA down your face), and apply a decent amount to a folded lint free towel, and quickly yet evenly apply it to the blank.  Then I'll spritz it lightly with activator, and 15 secs later put the next coat on.  4-8 coats will do. 

Oh, I also have gotten a 3/4" HDPE rod which I have turned to be tapered bushings.  Little white traffic cones if you will.  Point the Cones towards the blank, and it will allow the CA to wrap around the edge a bit, and not muck up your steel bushing.  And CA won't stick to HDPE, but it will form a shell that might slip off, or might need some encouragement.   And then you can lightly, very lightly smooth the ends clean again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1