Bandsaw blade alignment

jussi

I was watching Marc's video with Alex Snodgras on bs setup and he puts the blade so that the gullet is on the center of the wheel.  I have a 16" bs with a 1" blade and if I do it that way a large portion of the blade is no longer on the wheel.  Didn't measure but I'd say 1/4" is off the wheel.  Is that normal / safe?

For Euro saws with flat wheels, the gullet hangs over the front of the wheels a little, and the cutting part of the teeth are completely out in front of the wheel.  If it's a 1" blade on a MM16, I expect that's the way it's supposed to work.  That's the way I run a 1" blade on my 24" Centauro, that has flat wheels.  There will be some "experts" that say this is not right, but it is.

It’s a laguna lt 16hd. Also for clarification when I say it doesn’t make contact I mean the wheel is no longer under the blade anymore. That portion of the blade that is. Not that the crown of the wheel is pushing the blade up so it doesn’t make contact. 

Ill take a pic of it and post. Thanks

7 minutes ago, jussi said:

It’s a laguna lt 16hd. Also for clarification when I say it doesn’t make contact I mean the wheel is no longer under the blade anymore. That portion of the blade that is. Not that the crown of the wheel is pushing the blade up so it doesn’t make contact. 

Ill take a pic of it and post. Thanks

No need. I understood. Read both posts and you will see I addressed a crowned wheel and Tom a Euro wheel. My only point is that a crowned wheel focuses support on a narrow path. I have only seen Snodgrass present on crowned tires.