Problem with Epoxy

Greg Dent

I was filling some hole in a lamination. Its salvaged pine boards with screw holes nail holes and a few knots. I poured the epoxy in and tried to break the bubbles with a heat gun. I have done this before and not had a problem. 

I used West System with their slow dry hardener. I mixed it 2 parts rezin to 1 hardener. It went hard on me within what seemed like 10 to 15 minutes. i thought it should have taken longer to flash. It would up getting a pile of little white bubbles in it and I will have to grind it out now and refill it. Any tips you guys have would be much appreciated.

Two things come to mind. 

1. Your mixing ratio is off - maybe. I haven't come across WS that uses 2:1. The 205 and 206 hardeners are 5:1 and 207 is 3:1

2. What did you mix it in? I've had WS go off and smoke in less than 10 mins using a disposable plastic cup. I've since gone to using shallow bowls (unless it's a small amount that I'll pour quickly).

Another thought is to find an epoxy that has a slower cure time (the above may be slow cure, I don't know). That way, the bubbles have time to gas off before set-up. Some of the golf shaft epoxy takes 24 hrs to fully cure. Those typically are mixed in equal parts and do come in black. 

-Ace-  

• 2 months later...
I was filling some hole in a lamination. Its salvaged pine boards with screw holes nail holes and a few knots. I poured the epoxy in and tried to break the bubbles with a heat gun. I have done this before and not had a problem. 
I used West System with their slow dry hardener. I mixed it 2 parts rezin to 1 hardener. It went hard on me within what seemed like 10 to 15 minutes. i thought it should have taken longer to flash. It would up getting a pile of little white bubbles in it and I will have to grind it out now and refill it. Any tips you guys have would be much appreciated.
One reason it might have cured faster than expected is the volume of epoxy in the holes vs on a flat surface. Curing epoxy is exothermic, it gives off heat. The thicker it is, the hotter it gets and the faster it cures. I was once woking out of a pie tin and left the remainder outside in the sun. I heard a loud bang. The epoxy in the tin had cured so fast it shattered. Yours cured too fast for the bubbles to escape. Use the slow hardener and thin a little within the permissable limit or find a cooler place to work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk