Sanding Mop

Keggers

I've been trying to come up with an easier method to sand the profile in my raised panel doors that I'm building for our kitchen. I have arthritis in my thumbs and sanding the end grain is impossible for me. SO I looked on the internet and found a product called the Sanding Mop. I watched the video and it seems that it should work. I was wondering if anyone on here has one, or has any input they can give me. Perhaps an alternative method that won't cause me pain. Any help is appreciated. Here is the link to the company selling the sanding mop. http://www.stockroomsupply.ca/shop/sanding-mops/6inmop80-1.html

That's a new one on me never seen that.

To help or confuse the matter I used to use a profile sander. It's a power sander that uses small rubber contoured pads that you wrap sand paper around. I believe it was a porter cable model 9444. Dremel also made one called a contour sander (same basic design) model 6001. They are both out of production as far as I know, but that does not mean there is not cheap ones floating around. Both use special paper but you can cut to fit. Make sure the kits are complete. The pads might be hard to come by if missing.

Do you have a linear-action sander? If so, I could show you how to make a custom pad for it. Very easy to do.

Hey! It's my ole buddy Paul! No, I don't have a linear sander. I have looked at the Festool LS 130 but was hoping to find a less expensive option. I'll buy one if I have too but it seems a waste of money for a probable one time use. Then again.......a chance to acquire another tool shouldn't be passed over lightly. :)

Thanks for the input. I'm sure considering it. Maybe if I can find a deal on a reconditioned one I'll consider it stronger. Do you have the Festool linear sander?

The LS-130 would work, but there must be other linear-action sanders like that. If your arthritis can handle a sanding block, I'll put something together to show you how to make one for your door. I only asked about the linear-action sander since you could then lighten the work on your hand, too, though vibration might be an issue.

I've been trying to come up with an easier method to sand the profile in my raised panel doors that I'm building for our kitchen. I have arthritis in my thumbs and sanding the end grain is impossible for me. SO I looked on the internet and found a product called the Sanding Mop. I watched the video and it seems that it should work. I was wondering if anyone on here has one, or has any input they can give me. Perhaps an alternative method that won't cause me pain. Any help is appreciated. Here is the link to the company selling the sanding mop. http://www.stockroomsupply.ca/shop/sanding-mops/6inmop80-1.html

Klingspor and Woodcraft carry the Mops as well. I picked up one from WC to try out for the RP doors and drawers for my office. One bit of advice I have been given is to go one grit higher on the Mop than you are sanding with the sheets. IE: if you are sanding to 180 on the panel, go with a 150 Mop.

Klingspor also made an adjustable sanding block for profiles that I picked up a while back. Been thinking of selling it but may hold on to it. Not sure if they still offer it.

One bit of advice, use a higher quality panel bit. I went with a 3 wing Whiteside and it makes a huge differnce on cut quality compared to 2 wing bits. You can also make a final pass removing just a slight amount which will help reduce the amount of sanding.

I don't think the power dremel and PC profile sanders will work for your application, they are more detail profile sanders.

I have one and it works really good. You can put it together with different number of nylon washers to change how stiff it is. I use mine in the drill press, you just have to watch out and not let it grab the end of your board and flip it out of your hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one and it works really good. You can put it together with different number of nylon washers to change how stiff it is. I use mine in the drill press, you just have to watch out and not let it grab the end of your board and flip it out of your hand.

Hey Gary,

I wish I'd read your post earlier. I got my sanding mop from Rockler today. I put it together and stuck it in my drill press. I then got a nice chunk of junk cherry and "broke in" the mop. About three minutes into the break in period it grabbed the edge of my block of cherry and tossed it five feet. No damage, but I learned a quick lesson........it only happened one more time before I decided to quit being stupid.

I did sand the profiles on my raised panel doors and it worked great.