Aluminium straightedge

danste

I just to share my opinion on this simple topic.

I have buy the aluminium straightedge because I have see it to set a new table saw and a jointer.

Now I can't stop finding use of it. Now I can easily find the best side of the wood board to put on the jointer.

Thank's Marc

Cost is some what of a factor, but in my opinion not enough to stop people from making stuff out of it.

prices for a 1/4" x 3" x 24" bar from an expensive small quantity online supplier

1018 - $16.74

304 stainless - $34.34

316 stainless - $47.11

I'd personally pay an extra $30 for a tool that will never rust. In reality, he price difference is probably less, as 1018 is like machining bubble gum and sometimes requires special set ups to get a good surface finish.

Cost?

Cost is some what of a factor, but in my opinion not enough to stop people from making stuff out of it.

prices for a 1/4" x 3" x 24" bar from an expensive small quantity online supplier

1018 - $16.74

304 stainless - $34.34

316 stainless - $47.11

I'd personally pay an extra $30 for a tool that will never rust. In reality, he price difference is probably less, as 1018 is like machining bubble gum and sometimes requires special set ups to get a good surface finish.

Does stainless require more costly tooling to machine?