Dark stains on Rosewood

Scott M

I have some Bolivian Rosewood and several of the pieces have a dark staining on them that almost looks like water spots. This piece is by far the worst most of them were no bigger than a pencil eraser. I've already planed at least 1/8" off and it looks like it goes down at least another 1/8". Just wondering if this is a natural discoloration in the wood or if something else has caused it. There was no checking on the face of the board but the stain does seem to follow the grain. I thought maybe sticker staining but it doesn't run in the right direction.  And of course the million dollar question, can I do anything to remove it?

IMG_0475.thumb.jpg.8698969e3049d9a1e86273924371d7d5.jpg

Looks like stains I have seen before, not much I ever found that would help.  I see hints of it on the upper left side of the centered board.  If it's over 1/8 deep using the other face may be all you can do. Wood bleach would affect more than just the stain.

There are 4 basic types of wood bleach.  1) Chlorine bleach (strong stuff from a pool company) will take out dye stains, but will not lighten the wood itself.  2) Hydrogen Peroxide (strong 35% type) will take out some stains like mildew in maple, also will not lighten the wood itself.  3) Oxalic Acid will removed the dark stains from metal and water contacting woods with high tannin content like oak., and also will not lighten the wood itself. And finally the two part product made of of sodium hydroxide and 35% hydrogen peroxide.  This will take all or most of the color of the wood out.  You can turn Walnut to very light color and red oak to white for example.  Then you stain back to the desired color.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.

QHC

Check out his website ! He knows a little bit about damn near every tree on the planet !  I've only been working wood for 40 years professionally and I defer to his knowledge. Chances of removing the stain, slim. Chances of making it worse, pretty good. Best choice would be cut around it . Now if you have a bunch of it and plenty of time it's probably worth experimenting. 

21 hours ago, QHC said:

There are 4 basic types of wood bleach.  1) Chlorine bleach (strong stuff from a pool company) will take out dye stains, but will not lighten the wood itself.  2) Hydrogen Peroxide (strong 35% type) will take out some stains like mildew in maple, also will not lighten the wood itself.  3) Oxalic Acid will removed the dark stains from metal and water contacting woods with high tannin content like oak., and also will not lighten the wood itself. And finally the two part product made of of sodium hydroxide and 35% hydrogen peroxide.  This will take all or most of the color of the wood out.  You can turn Walnut to very light color and red oak to white for example.  Then you stain back to the desired color.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.

QHC

Thanks QHC I'll give some of these a try. 

Steve- This was the only piece I couldn't cut around and I don't have any large enough pieces left. It's going to be an inside back leg and there will be a shelf that should also hide a lot of it so if nothing works it's ok. I'm sure it would be cheaper in time and money to just buy another board but I'm up for a little experimenting.