Next, stop choosing

collinb

Picked up a decent looking Bailey No. 6 at an auction yesterday for $20. Needs the standard TLC.

Next step is to compare it in use to my similarly-sized Sargent to see which I prefer. But at first touch I like the shape of the Sargent tote better, but the positioning of the Bailey handle.  So it's going to boil down to functionality. Probably won't get to it until Spring. But it can remain in the garage for the duration.

Also two weeks ago got corroded Pexto & Baily #8 set at a downsizing sale for $5 & $15 respectively. Real users. Time for some of that rust remover stuff.

6a.jpg

6b.jpg

6c.jpg

6d.jpg

No8.jpg

No8b.jpg

Good luck with them!  Type 9's don't have the frog adjustment mechanism, IIR....but still, even with the repair, I hope it cleans up nice and works out well for you.

Just curious - throwing this out there...do people have any actual experience with the pros and cons of the corrugated soles?  Lately I've been 'passing' on some planes because it doesn't really strike me as a necessary feature.  

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, Jfitz said:

...Just curious - throwing this out there...do people have any actual experience with the pros and cons of the corrugated soles?  Lately I've been 'passing' on some planes because it doesn't really strike me as a necessary feature. …

I've got several users with corrugated soles, and have not found it to be "necessary" for anything I've done; however, I've also not found it to be a problem, either.  IMO, the corrugated sole was more marketing than anything else.

On 11/16/2018 at 5:30 PM, Jfitz said:

Good luck with them!  Type 9's don't have the frog adjustment mechanism, IIR....but still, even with the repair, I hope it cleans up nice and works out well for you.

Just curious - throwing this out there...do people have any actual experience with the pros and cons of the corrugated soles?  Lately I've been 'passing' on some planes because it doesn't really strike me as a necessary feature.  

I have a couple with corrugated soles.  It's not necessary for anything, it doesn't hurt any thing either.  It was just marketing wank of the day claiming they glide better because of less friction.  I haven't noticed any difference.  It is marginally easier to flatten the soles on them though.