Dust collection

Goober

I'm still working on the shop and have a question about dust collection. I have a 2HP Grizzly coupled with a Oneida Super dust deputy XL and a Wynn filter. My tools are a 10" cabinet saw, 14" band saw, 12" miter saw, 3HP router W/table, and a 15" planer W/standard knives. Should the main trunk line  (approx. 30' on ceiling) be 6" or 4"? There are 5 drops w/blast gates that will be 4". Whatcha thank?

I don't know the flow dynamics of that system but a 6" sloped towards the cyclone should be more than enough. 4" is going to choke flow.

The number of tools doesn't matter but have a blast gate on each tool and keep every gate close except for the tool your using.

Try and only have 1 main trunk, having a the trunk wye and go in various directions will decrease overall efficiency. Your collector is smaller so i'd run 6" as close to the tool as possible. I don't know what you get for flow so 4" verticals might be necessary to lift chips where 6" might be a bit small velocity wise.

Best part about 6" is if you feel like you need to step up to a 3hp system you won't have to replace all your ductwork.

If that's the DC I think it is...it fared pretty well in a DC review some years back, performing among the top units of that size when connected with either 4" or 6" duct.  I'll +1 what Chestnut said above.....gate on each tool, open only one at a time, and keep a 6" as long as possible with a 4" drop to each tool.