Solid Core Slab door as assembly table..

Krackle

Hi, first post here..

Im about to start into a major renovation of a space in my building..Part of this involves building some cabinets.

This is my first step into building cabs..they will be basic ply boxes with plywood slab doors, probably Birch finish.

Im interested in building a simple, flat and squared up  assembly table. In my experience most decent quality solid core slab doors start out pretty flat..

I was thinking of using a 1-3/4" x 36 x 80" door and then topping it with a sheet of 3/4 MDF or so.

Still sorting out a base for the table top..the floor in my basement is concrete, very old and not level or consistent.

I'm sure some of you have done this..just wanting to confirm that it'll be close enough for assembling basic cabinets etc.

I'll be posting at some point looking for some advice on the actual cabinets..for now though Im starting to put together 

a work area for this part of the project..

thanks!

The most important thing will be building a flat square & level base.  Shims or adjustable feet will work. Checking the door before you take it home with a long straightedge and an accurate square is smart too. Most stamped sheet metal framing squares are not as accurate as you might think. Check any long straightedge with a high quality long level switching sides and direction to see if there is any gaps. I use playing cards to see if one will fit into a possible gap.

I would only screw the 3/4 MDF to the door so it could be replaced.  Pilot holes should be pre drilled and the back side slightly chamfered, MDF is bad about leaving a bump around a hole on the back side. 

• Like 1

Tom is right a door only supported at the ends like on sawhorses will sag.  A frame/apron all the way around and maybe a couple crosspieces in the middle will prevent sag. New construction lumber will move too much.   Hardwood is a better choice even if you plan to assemble the frame & legs with screws.