should i buy it?

mike nelson

should i buy this jointer on craigslist?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/2209236397.html

have you ever seen the brand?

are the reputable if so?

thanks,mike

I've seen AMT before, I think they went out of business 20 years ago or so. The magnaset jig is about $50 by itself so really $75 for a 6" jointer isn't bad. I bought a Reliant a couple of years back (also out of business) for $100 and it's pretty decent. Lots of stuff I don't like but it does the job.

The infeed bed looks a little short though... bring a piece of wood and a straight edge with you and ask to give it a try. Make sure the fence works but I'd say if everything works and the top isn't pitted or anything, I think you'll get some use out of it and the price is decent.

Maybe some others have used AMT stuff before and can give a better idea of quality and how they were as a company.

-Jim

I've seen AMT before, I think they went out of business 20 years ago or so. The magnaset jig is about $50 by itself so really $75 for a 6" jointer isn't bad. I bought a Reliant a couple of years back (also out of business) for $100 and it's pretty decent. Lots of stuff I don't like but it does the job.

The infeed bed looks a little short though... bring a piece of wood and a straight edge with you and ask to give it a try. Make sure the fence works but I'd say if everything works and the top isn't pitted or anything, I think you'll get some use out of it and the price is decent.

Maybe some others have used AMT stuff before and can give a better idea of quality and how they were as a company.

-Jim

I see you are looking in Cleveland, if you watch for a while there are usually 6 inch jointers in better shape for around $150 ( i also watch the Cleveland tools ssection). Not sure how long you want to wait. I know I found my 8" grizzly after watching for about 6 months.

I see you are looking in Cleveland, if you watch for a while there are usually 6 inch jointers in better shape for around $150 ( i also watch the Cleveland tools ssection). Not sure how long you want to wait. I know I found my 8" grizzly after watching for about 6 months.

i have actualy been waiting for about 2 years but havent found one i like i have gotten my planer and bandsaw of their but what i really watch "hard" is the lumber i have found great deals on that section

If its not too far of a hike go and take a look at it. Maybe you can pick it up, clean it up real nice, use it for a little bit until you find something better and sell it for what you paid or maybe a little more. A shiny machine even though used will attract more buyers. The good ol used car salesman trick. shiny

Its all about that cast iron. How bad is that rust. If its not to bad it could be usable as is with cleaning. If it is pitted really bad it would need to be resurfaced, and that can be costly. But being as only one side is rusty it is probably not seriously damaged (assumption). You can polish the rest of the unit like you would a car finish. I am assuming that it is not rusty.

With accessories, I would do it. If it runs smooth. But remember you get what you pay for.

Has extra blades, you can you get more?

If that infeed table has a dip when you get done cleaning can you live with it?

How old is it really? That may not really matter, but it would if it was a car. The current owner may not know.