General Finishes "Milk paint" anyone spray with it?

Juicegoose

The wife found a entertainment center she likes that i'm building and the other day she came across a finish that she liked on the general finishes website. It's an antiquing style of finish utilizing a millstone white milk paint base with a vandike glaze. I've never used the milk paint before and I would like to use my earlex spray gun to spray the paint. So has anyone sprayed this paint before and if so how were your results? did you thin the paint or add any floetrol and if so to what ratio worked best for you. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Yes I used this stuff with great results. However I dont remember how much I thinned it i just used my funnel that came with my fuji gun until it timmed out right per the instructions for water based paint. I only remember having to thin it quite a bit (it's pretty thick) I do recomend the paint though- excellent stuff. Stay away from the real milk-paint brand powder though that didnt work out so well.

Jimmy thanks for the reply. Do you remeber if you thinned the paint with water or another thinning agent compatable with the acrylic milk paint. It has always been my understanding you don't want to thin acrylic paints to much with water. And of course floetrol isn't a thinner it's a flow/leveling agent. Just curious before i go put the water hose to the paint can!!!!

Jimmy thanks for the reply. Do you remeber if you thinned the paint with water or another thinning agent compatable with the acrylic milk paint. It has always been my understanding you don't want to thin acrylic paints to much with water. And of course floetrol isn't a thinner it's a flow/leveling agent. Just curious before i go put the water hose to the paint can!!!!

I thinned mine with water. It's right on the label how much they allow and or want you to thin. And I remember I was pushing it or just past their recomendation level but it still worked out ok. General finishes is a quality product. Since that project im using all their products including clear coats.

• 8 months later...

Hey Hobo

The name “Milk Paint” is just a marketing term, kinda like “water base lacquer” vs "solvent lacquer." General Finishes Milk Paint is actually an acrylic base. Is exterior durability and will stick to just about anything. To my knowledge, the words “Milk Paint” are not Trademarked. It’s a generic term used such as lacquer.

I know this stuff is so confusing. Sorta like Target Coatings has a "water-based" shellac called Ultraseal....go figure!!!!!

-Ace-

The name “Milk Paint” is just a marketing term, kinda like “water base lacquer” vs "solvent lacquer."

Nope. Milk Paint is usually used in reference to paints that have a milk-byproducts base, such as quark or casein.

Real Milk Paints have been around for centuries/millennia, e.g. painted objects in King Tut's tomb.

There are many sources for genuine milk paint, premixed and as ingredients. Here's a good one:

http://www.realmilkpaint.com/

General Finishes Milk Paint is actually an acrylic base.

That is correct. IMNSHO their labeling is confusing and even deceptive. Their product kinda/sorta looks like genuine milk paint but it isn't. Even though it's a good product, the labeling isn't well thought out.

To my knowledge, the words “Milk Paint” are not Trademarked.

That is correct. However, chicken soup that does not contain real chicken is not and should not be labeled as "Chicken Soup."

I know this stuff is so confusing. Sorta like Target Coatings has a "water-based" shellac called Ultraseal....go figure!!!!!

Water-based shellac formulations have been around for centuries. I've been using water soluble shellac for decades.

Note: Some brands of India Ink contain water-soluble shellac as a binder.

I was a consulting chemist (Clinical Chemist and Toxicologist) with experience in the paints and coatings industry.

Now I'm a full-time woodworker. I occasionally custom formulate artisan finishes and teach a little wood finishing when I get time.

Blessings,

Bro. Tenzin

The name “Milk Paint” is just a marketing term, kinda like “water base lacquer” vs "solvent lacquer."

Nope. Milk Paint is usually used in reference to paints that have a milk-byproducts base, such as quark or casein.

Real Milk Paints have been around for centuries/millennia, e.g. painted objects in King Tut's tomb.

There are many sources for genuine milk paint, premixed and as ingredients. Here's a good one:

http://www.realmilkpaint.com/

General Finishes Milk Paint is actually an acrylic base.

That is correct. IMNSHO their labeling is confusing and even deceptive. Their product kinda/sorta looks like genuine milk paint but it isn't. Even though it's a good product, the labeling isn't well thought out.

To my knowledge, the words “Milk Paint” are not Trademarked.

That is correct. However, chicken soup that does not contain real chicken is not and should not be labeled as "Chicken Soup."

Water-based shellac formulations have been around for centuries. I've been using water soluble shellac for decades.

Note: Some brands of India Ink contain water-soluble shellac as a binder.

I was a consulting chemist (Clinical Chemist and Toxicologist) with experience in the paints and coatings industry.

Now I'm a full-time woodworker. I occasionally custom formulate artisan finishes and teach a little wood finishing when I get time.

Blessings,

Bro. Tenzin

I’m confident General Finishes was not out to deceive any professional or hobby woodworker. General Finishes has been in business for about 83 years, which I believe, is a testament to using good business practices.

Probably, (and this is my belief) General Finishes was looking to enter the craft and furniture markets where the “original” or “real” milk paint product(s) were sold. So competing for shelf space, General Finishes made a better product that was easier to use and lasted longer than the “real or original” milk paint. The words “milk paint” are not trademarked. It’s a generic term. So I believe since it’s not trademarked, milk paint away, marketing 101.

General Finishes is very clear on the cans label, “…GF Country Milk Paints are classic interior/exterior ACRYLIC PAINTS suitable for furniture, crafts and woodworking projects. Uniquely engineered from the latest paint technology…”

Nope, that doesn’t sound deceptive, we all have to educate ourselves. Once you get past all the smoke, there is no smoke! That goes for everything in life.

Signed…a happy user of General Finishes Products. ;):D