concerning chisel and dado/groove sizes

walidantar

i've seen many says 3/8" & 1/2" for dovetails, just want to clarify about this, i looks they mean for the dovetail sockets that are 3/8" & 1/2" wide, my question when working with dovetails - should the chisels par the socket with one pas or doesn't matter for the joint if a narrower chisel is used .. and where can i learn more about designing or layout the sizes and pattern of dovetails, i still can't know much about the widths of the pins and the sockets and about the spacing 

@walidantar, mind if I ask what is your native language? Your english seems fluent, except for some of these woodworking terms, which I assume are somewhat new to you.

As for your questions about dovetails, using a wider chisel to remove waste simply provides more surface to register against the reference line, making it easier to keep a clean, straight line. Narrower chisels work, but are more difficult to keep straight.

There are many solutions to dovetail layout. I suggest watching some Youtube videos from Rob Cosman and Paul Sellers. They each have several videos that demonstrate their preferred techniques. There are many others, as well.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

@walidantar, mind if I ask what is your native language? Your english seems fluent, except for some of these woodworking terms, which I assume are somewhat new to you.

As for your questions about dovetails, using a wider chisel to remove waste simply provides more surface to register against the reference line, making it easier to keep a clean, straight line. Narrower chisels work, but are more difficult to keep straight.

There are many solutions to dovetail layout. I suggest watching some Youtube videos from Rob Cosman and Paul Sellers. They each have several videos that demonstrate their preferred techniques. There are many others, as well.

thanks wtnhighlander, my native language is arabic which some words expretions we can say to stangers normally without taking in account any misunderstanding .. so when i translated it to english it msybe meant something else

• Like 1