Finishing Library Benches

Gary B

Okay guys I need your help.  We purchased some outdoor benches made out of Angelim Amargoso (an exotic hardwood) about 8 months ago.  The benches were only finished with a linseed oil and have weathered horribly.  The manufacture recommends a light sanding and applying more linseed oil every few months to maintain them.  They are now checking and cracking along with becoming rough and changing color.  Some of this is normal but even the manufacturer says that some of the checking is abnormal and they are willing to only replace those boards.  I am not a fan of refinishing these with linseed oil every few months and want to apply a much more robust outdoor finish.  I would like to fill in the cracks with epoxy and then apply an Epifanes Varnish to seal the wood.  The color of the benches now is not uniform because of the fading of the linseed oil.  How do I keep the look the linseed oil provides and apply the finish I want?  I cant put an epoxy and varnish on top of the linseed oil can I?  Can I sand it all down and use a water based stain to color the wood then apply my finish?  How would you guys fix this problem?

20190319_101558.jpg

20190430_141854.jpg

I have a bunch of Massaranduba because it was discarded for the same behavior. A decade of drying while I waited on it proved that the problem was a faulty drying process from the supplier. Reach out to whomever you purchased from. They need to know.  

When it come to finishes on outdoor wood you have 2 basic choices; an oil finish, like linseed, that you have to lightly sand & reapply a couple of times a year, or a more durable film forming finish that lasts longer, but still must be refinished every couple of years. But that will require extensive sanding/stripping before applying the new finish. If you go that route then there are good reports of using clear penetrating epoxy sealer (CPES) followed by a topcoat of a UV blocking exterior varnish. I've not had any experience with that myself though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Penofin makes a line of products made specifically for exotic hardwoods.  I believe it would definitely be something worth looking into.  I sold Penofin products at my last job and most people only had to reapply each year or less often.  Penofin is a bit pricey but you get what you pay for and it was the best product we sold.