Saw Blade/Dado stack

Rajdawg

I've got the 4512 as well. Yes, you should plan to upgrade the blade that comes with it. The one on there is good for construction, but you'll want a better 40 or 50 tooth combo blade at a minimum. I also find it's useful to have a 24 tooth ripping blade, especially for 8/4 hardwood. I have a couple of Dimar thin kerf blades for it, but there are lots of choices. Just make sure that if you get a thin kerf blade that it is still thicker than your riving knife. Some of the Freud blades are a bit too thin to work well.

For a dado stack, I've got this one on the recommendation of a few others and it's got great performance for the price:

https://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SDS-0630-6-Inch-Tooth-8-Inch/dp/B0012YILDQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1004N7IZE8TYE&keywords=oshlun+dado+6&qid=1560881638&s=gateway&sprefix=oshlun%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-1

• Like 1

With most saws you will want to replace the stock blade as soon as possible. Keep the stock blade around for cutting questionable materials or pressure treated stuff. 

The Freud industrial blades are a good blade for the money. 

What materials do you plan to work with most? Plywood/sheet goods, 2x material, hardwoods, etc?

15 minutes ago, JohnG said:

With most saws you will want to replace the stock blade as soon as possible. Keep the stock blade around for cutting questionable materials or pressure treated stuff. 

The Freud industrial blades are a good blade for the money. 

What materials do you plan to work with most? Plywood/sheet goods, 2x material, hardwoods, etc?

it will be plywood/sheet and hardwood

16 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

I've got the 4512 as well. Yes, you should plan to upgrade the blade that comes with it. The one on there is good for construction, but you'll want a better 40 or 50 tooth combo blade at a minimum. I also find it's useful to have a 24 tooth ripping blade, especially for 8/4 hardwood. I have a couple of Dimar thin kerf blades for it, but there are lots of choices. Just make sure that if you get a thin kerf blade that it is still thicker than your riving knife. Some of the Freud blades are a bit too thin to work well.

For a dado stack, I've got this one on the recommendation of a few others and it's got great performance for the price:

https://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SDS-0630-6-Inch-Tooth-8-Inch/dp/B0012YILDQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1004N7IZE8TYE&keywords=oshlun+dado+6&qid=1560881638&s=gateway&sprefix=oshlun%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-1

thank you i had read about those.  Did you get the 6" stack?

Following a good alignment, nothing increases a saw's performance easier than quality cutters.  Ply and other veneers benefit from a dedicated blade but, a lot of folks power through with a combo blade.  The only saw I ever got that didn't need the blade changed immediately was an old ZipCode saw that came with a nice Leitz.  Plenty of sub-$100 blades to choose from. As you approach the $100+ tier you can get a little more choosy. Plenty of us have our favs at that level.

1 hour ago, Rajdawg said:

it will be plywood/sheet and hardwood

thank you i had read about those.  Did you get the 6" stack?

Yes, I went with the 6". Apparently some people use the 8" with it, but the instructions recommended 6" and I figured better to be safe. I've never needed more cut depth than that.