Dewalt DW744XP-QS advice

kenobi91

Hello dear woodworkers :)
I am new guy at the forum and I could really use your help. I just started woodworking and after few small projects it is time for me to buy a table saw. There is not a lot of options for buying a table saw where i live but i did found one used Dewalt DW744XP-QS Type 2 table saw. Problem is that i cant find any reviews of this model so i dont know how good it is and how these saws age since it is used one. I could relly use your help if someone had this saw or know anything about it. I will post some pictures of it:

slika-461184-5c4c4f8488c00-velika.jpg

slika-461184-5c4c4f82bde9f-velika.jpg

slika-461184-5c4c4f831cc0c-velika.jpg

I had the 745 which is the newer version of this saw and i assume there are some minor differences but on the whole they look similar.

I made mine work fore a few years while i build a fair amount of furniture and some kitchen cabinets so they are capable. They are essentially a circular saw motor attached directly to an arbor. Mine had little run out and decent enough power as long as i used think kerf blades and didn't feed to fast. 

Make sure the fence hasn't been damaged as it's difficult to use anything but the one that is on it. You might be able to get replacement parts but if a bracket is damaged or something major is bent it'll be a nightmare. If there isn't any apparent damage it's probably ok but make sure not to over pay on the used market. People tend to value their possessions a lot higher than if it isn't their own.

It is made in Germany it can't be that bad..... those Germans know a thing or two about engineering i hear.

• Like 1

No direct experience to share on that model, but here are some questions to ask:

1. Is it powerful enough to cut the material you want to use?

2. Is the table large enough to safely support the size pieces you need?

3. Will the fence move smoothly, lock solidly, and stay parallel to the blade?

If all 3 are 'yes' answers, move on to inspection for wear items, bearings and such, since it is used. Also ensure the safety features (riving knife, blade guard, etc...) are in place. If you fully understand the implications of those parts being removed, I wouldn't consider it a deal-breaker, but it does de-value the machine.

• Like 1

In general, the entry level table saws have fence issues. Verify the accuracy of the fence. With the blade fully extended up, carefully measure to see if it is parallel yo the grooves in the bed. Check the fence to the grooves also. I would check the first three setups on parallel before I turned on the saw. If fence locks down parallel consecutively then you got something. If not, try to make that happen.