New Dovetail saw: where to get it sharpened?

Freddie

My girlfriend just bought me a Crown 8 inch 203mm dovetail saw for my birthday. I wanna send it out to get sharpened so it performs the best it can. Im from the long island area, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a sharpening company that will properly tune up and sharpen my saw? Also, are there certain things i should mention, like setting up to a riptooth configuration, plz help im new to this. Thank you.

My girlfriend just bought me a Crown 8 inch 203mm dovetail saw for my birthday. I wanna send it out to get sharpened so it performs the best it can. Im from the long island area, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a sharpening company that will properly tune up and sharpen my saw? Also, are there certain things i should mention, like setting up to a riptooth configuration, plz help im new to this. Thank you.

Hi Freddie

First of all, sharpening is not hard to do and there are lots of good websites with great info (Google is your friend :)).

But if you really want to send it out, try Bad Ax Tools (Mark Harrell)

Happy sawdust

Jeremy

Freddie,

First off if the saw was just purchased new then don't sharpen it. It is for the most part good to go. Unless you are experienced in saws you wouldn't notice the difference between the factory sharpening and what one of the experts will do (unless it was really bad to start with). Go out and cut dovetails now and in a year send it out to get it touched up or learn to sharpen it by then.

That being said eventually it will need sharpening. I am with Jeremy that learning to sharpen saws is fairly easy. A dovetail saw with small teeth may not be ideal as your first try, but it can be done. Take a look at Vintage Saws - Saw Filing Primer as a place to start the journey. Even with the occasional odd looking tooth my home sharpened saws work better than new.

If you just want to go the easy route (not cheap) then contact either Mark Harrell at Bad Axe Tools. You could also send it out to Bob Rozaieski at the Logan Cabinet Shoppe, I see that he is now providing sharpening services. He also chimes in on this forum quite often as well.

Best of luck!

Josh

Thanks guys, I made a few cuts with it, Im a hand saw newbie, so this is gonna be a learning experience for me, but Im definitely excited to get some hand made experience under my belt.

Hey Freddie,

Congrats on the new saw. I am just about to use my Japanese Dozukime dovetail saw for the first time as well. I can't wait to perfect the art of the hand cut dovetail. I plan on re-sawing some spruce 2x4 to 3/4" slabs and just saw, saw, saw and saw some more until I start to get the hand of it. Then, I will switch to some maple shortcuts I have lying around. Then, on to an actual project!

Keep us updated and maybe add a pic or two of your first few cuts.