My new bench base

JimB1

I looked at a lot of plans and took pieces I liked from various ones. It's made of jointed and planed Douglas Fir 2x4's and 2x6's and finished with danish oil. Took about 2 weeks to build in my off hours. Maybe 12 - 14 hours not counting glue and finish drying time.

All the bolts are recessed so they can't get caught on anything and all the edges are eased so nothing's sharp on the legs. The top will be secured to brackets with hex bolts. The brackets then slide into saddle joints on the legs. The feet are connected with wedged and glued M&T joints (the only glue used on the whole thing other then laminating the milled dimensional wood together) and have height blocks that can be unscrewed so I can change the height of the bench. The stretchers between the legs are bolted M&T joints so the bench can be broken down and moved easily as needed. The storage tray is fitted in groves on the stretchers. It's not glued so the tray can be removed if the base needs to be broken down.

It's sitting in my laundry room while I clean off the bench so I can get the top ready to put on the new base :)

Here's the end result.

side.jpg

side2.jpg

side_front.jpg

stretcher1.jpg

Sorry about the fuzzy pics, used my phone for them...

Now I need to think about how to modify my laminated beech top (dogholes, vices, etc)...

-Jim