$1000 table saw

Capnrock

First time poster here. This place seems like there is alot of information to be digested. 

I'm wanting to purchase a decent table saw and have a $800-$1200 budget.  

I've been looking at grizzly, shop fox, delta and ridgid. I would like your opinions on those particular brands in that price range. I know the delta and ridgid is a bit less expensive than what I asked for but please indulge me in case there is an opportunity to save some cash. 

I've been watching CL in my area for a few months and havent seen anything that really speaks out to me so to say.

I'm a believer in you pay for what you get. Could I buy a $2500 saw, yes, for my use and skill level that would be overkill for me.

Things I'm interested in is fence, flat table, precision and safety. I'm not a professional wood worker.  Just a weekender with a son that has the passion.

Thanks 

Welcome Capn. Looks like you're on the right track with priorities.

Safety: look for a good, easy to use guard and riving knife. It should be easy & quick to mount & remove them, preferably toolless. There are lots of times when you need to switch them out & if that is a pain, then they won't get used. And there's always the blade brake technology, which is great, but the SawStop machines that have it are pricey. The brake only adds a couple of hundred dollars, but the saws are otherwise high end, which runs the price up.

Fence: I like the Biesmeyer clone type, but not all clones are good. There should be no flex at the back end, even under substantial side pressure. They are simple to adjust, and they stay true forever.

Precision: more money gets you greater precision, but even at your budget level you'll be fine. It's mainly a matter of taking the time, like hours if needed, to calibrate it properly. Once that's done, they generally stay that way. Unless it's dropped or something :( 

I suggest you rethink your budget though. If you can afford $2500, then a better quality table saw is something that you'll appreciate every time you use it. When I upgrade from a contractor saw, I got a SawStop PCS and am very happy with it. It's got a very good fence and the riving knife/guard are about the best there is. And it has the blade brake.

Good luck & happy shopping.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Welcome Capn. Looks like you're on the right track with priorities.

Safety: look for a good, easy to use guard and riving knife. It should be easy & quick to mount & remove them, preferably toolless. There are lots of times when you need to switch them out & if that is a pain, then they won't get used. And there's always the blade brake technology, which is great, but the SawStop machines that have it are pricey. The brake only adds a couple of hundred dollars, but the saws are otherwise high end, which runs the price up.

Fence: I like the Biesmeyer clone type, but not all clones are good. There should be no flex at the back end, even under substantial side pressure. They are simple to adjust, and they stay true forever.

Precision: more money gets you greater precision, but even at your budget level you'll be fine. It's mainly a matter of taking the time, like hours if needed, to calibrate it properly. Once that's done, they generally stay that way. Unless it's dropped or something :( 

I suggest you rethink your budget though. If you can afford $2500, then a better quality table saw is something that you'll appreciate every time you use it. When I upgrade from a contractor saw, I got a SawStop PCS and am very happy with it. It's got a very good fence and the riving knife/guard are about the best there is. And it has the blade brake.

Good luck & happy shopping.

Drzaius I kinda figured I'd get that sort of response when I put the $2500 line in my original post haha. Not against buying the SS PCS, but that $1500 that's left over sure helps outfit the woodshop with other goodies. Any preference on the saws I mentioned? Thanks

Welcome to the forums Capnrock!  Drzaius is pretty spot on but, I also understand the want to not jump to the price point of the SS PCS.  My last saw was a Grizzly and I really enjoyed it!  I did upgrade the fence on it but, I was still well under the price of the SS.  My current saw is in the same price point of the SS but, doesn't have the technology as I didn't want that.  

SS makes a really nice saw the technology that you might really appreciate teaching a new woodworker.  However, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Grizzly if I were in the market.  Their customer service is good and the product is adequate.  If you go that route, depending one what you select, be prepared to upgrade the fence.  You'll still be well under the price point of the SS or the PM that I purchased.

I'll also say that the only reason I upgraded my saw was due to motor failure of the Grizzly.  I'm probably a little more than a weekend warrior though and had thousands of board feet run through that Grizzly G0715P.

14 minutes ago, Capnrock said:

Drzaius I kinda figured I'd get that sort of response when I put the $2500 line in my original post haha. Not against buying the SS PCS, but that $1500 that's left over sure helps outfit the woodshop with other goodies. Any preference on the saws I mentioned? Thanks

I would not buy a Delta machine. They've got a very bad history, over the last decade or so, of having been bought & sold multiple times with customer service & parts availability ranging from bad to completely non-existent. Delta used to make some very fine machinery, but you can't get new parts for them anymore. The current owners introduced new lines scrapped the entire parts inventory for all the older machines. To me, that's a big 'screw you' to anybody that owns old Delta stuff.

3 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

Welcome to the forums Capnrock!  Drzaius is pretty spot on but, I also understand the want to not jump to the price point of the SS PCS.  My last saw was a Grizzly and I really enjoyed it!  I did upgrade the fence on it but, I was still well under the price of the SS.  My current saw is in the same price point of the SS but, doesn't have the technology as I didn't want that.  

SS makes a really nice saw the technology that you might really appreciate teaching a new woodworker.  However, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Grizzly if I were in the market.  Their customer service is good and the product is adequate.  If you go that route, depending one what you select, be prepared to upgrade the fence.  You'll still be well under the price point of the SS or the PM that I purchased.

I'll also say that the only reason I upgraded my saw was due to motor failure of the Grizzly.  I'm probably a little more than a weekend warrior though and had thousands of board feet run through that Grizzly G0715P.

Thanks Kev. The grizzly I'm currently looking at is the G0771z hybrid 2hp if that matters. Would I need a fence upgrade in your opinion with that model? I realize that "need" can be subjective.  Thanks

I would not buy a Delta machine. They've got a very bad history, over the last decade or so, of having been bought & sold multiple times with customer service & parts availability ranging from bad to completely non-existent. Delta used to make some very fine machinery, but you can't get new parts for them anymore. The current owners introduced new lines scrapped the entire parts inventory for all the older machines. To me, that's a big 'screw you' to anybody that owns old Delta stuff.

Drzaius that is good to know. I will cross them off for sure. I dont have time for non support. Thanks for the information. I'm not married to any brand and dont look to be. Any thoughts on the SS contractor models?

1 minute ago, Capnrock said:

Thanks Kev. The grizzly I'm currently looking at is the G0771z hybrid 2hp if that matters. Would I need a fence upgrade in your opinion with that model? I realize that "need" can be subjective.  Thanks

That saw, if memory serves me correctly, is the one that replaced the G0715P that I had.  The stock fence was fine but, for what I do, wanted the upgrade.  Cool thing about the fence is that you and always upgrade it when you're ready.

Just now, ..Kev said:

That saw, if memory serves me correctly, is the one that replaced the G0715P that I had.  The stock fence was fine but, for what I do, wanted the upgrade.  Cool thing about the fence is that you and always upgrade it when you're ready.

In the description it talks about a new T shaped fence? Is that different from what you had experienced?

Drzaius that is good to know. I will cross them off for sure. I dont have time for non support. Thanks for the information. I'm not married to any brand and dont look to be. Any thoughts on the SS contractor models?

I've not use it, but had a look when I got my saw. It's at the upper end of the contractor segment for sure. But you don't want to get the 'premium' fence, cause it's anything but. The T-square fence is far better. 

Honestly, for the cost of a SawStop contractor saw, you could get a decent cabinet saw. I know I'd rather have the cabinet saw.

3 minutes ago, Capnrock said:

In the description it talks about a new T shaped fence? Is that different from what you had experienced?

The fence I replaced the stock fence with was also a T shaped fence, just a little higher quality.  

The fence that I pulled off of my Grizzly is currently on a friend of mine's saw and he loves it.  To be completely transparent, he's not experienced anything better.

I've not use it, but had a look when I got my saw. It's at the upper end of the contractor segment for sure. But you don't want to get the 'premium' fence, cause it's anything but. The T-square fence is far better. 

Honestly, for the cost of a SawStop contractor saw, you could get a decent cabinet saw. I know I'd rather have the cabinet saw.

Suggestions? I'm pretty much open to anything. Just want the best bang for my buck...like anyone else would.

3 minutes ago, Capnrock said:

Suggestions? I'm pretty much open to anything. Just want the best bang for my buck...like anyone else would.

I bought the 0715P.  I think your G0771z  is the replacement saw.  I put the Biesemeyer fence on it for about $300.  

My original stock fence is still in use today and the user loves it.

Minus the flesh sensing technology, is the SS PCS 1-3/4 hp a better saw than the grizzly G0771z....meaning $1200 better out of the box?

NO!

1 minute ago, ..Kev said:

I bought the 0715P.  I think your G0771z  is the replacement saw.  I put the Biesemeyer fence on it for about $300.  

My original stock fence is still in use today and the user loves it.

NO!

Dont get me wrong if you need that brake one time it's worth it IMO. I was only asking saw vs saw. Thanks

6 minutes ago, Capnrock said:

Dont get me wrong if you need that brake one time it's worth it IMO. I was only asking saw vs saw. Thanks

The tech is a great thing, especially when teaching new woodworkers.  There's also lots of flaws with that tech!

Your aluminum miter gauge will trip the brake - Gauge won't damage the blade

Too much moisture in the wood will trigger the brake - Moisture won't damage the blade

An unseen piece of metal will trip the brake - Nail might damage the blade

All will cost you the the price of the brake plus the cost of the blade.

The tech is a great thing, especially when teaching new woodworkers.  There's also lots of flaws with that tech!

You aluminum miter gauge withe trip the brake - Gauge won't damage the blade

Too much moisture in the wood will trigger the brake - Moisture won't damage the blade

An unseen piece of metal will trip the brake - Nail might damage the blade

All will cost you the the price of the brake plus the cost of the blade.

I hadn't considered the downfalls until now. Excellent point though. In your opinion what's the best buy in the price range I mentioned?

2 minutes ago, Capnrock said:

Well so far we have discussed grizzly and SS, any thoughts with similiar saws from Jet or shop fox? Thanks again

Jet is owned by Powermatic.. Since I have a very biased opinion on this company, I'll refrain from comment.

Shop Fox is Grizzly.

I would also consider the Rigid.  Their warranty is very good and is a solid saw to consider.

Jet is owned by Powermatic.. Since I have a very biased opinion on this company, I'll refrain from comment.

Shop Fox is Grizzly.

I would also consider the Rigid.  Their warranty is very good and is a solid saw to consider.

Ok. Not sure on your opinion but ok. If you were handed $1K-$1.2k and you had to buy a table saw.......?

4 minutes ago, Capnrock said:

I hadn't considered the downfalls until now. Excellent point though. In your opinion what's the best buy in the price range I mentioned?

Just now, Capnrock said:

Ok. Not sure on your opinion but ok. If you were handed $1K-$1.2k and you had to buy a table saw.......?

Fair question..  I also know you have a little wiggle room.

If you have 220 power, I would have to seriously consider the Grizzly 1023.  3HP saw, good fence, and no need for upgrades.

From there, I would go with the Grizz that you're looking at and lastly, the Rigid.

• Like 2

Just now, ..Kev said:

Fair question..  I also know you have a little wiggle room.

If you have 220 power, I would have to seriously consider the Grizzly 1023.  3HP saw, good fence, and no need for upgrades.

From there, I would go with the Grizz that you're looking at and lastly, the Rigid.

I currently have 110. But not opposed to upgrade at all. Also I dont think i will ever have a need to cut much over 2" At least not now....

Just now, Capnrock said:

I currently have 110. But not opposed to upgrade at all. Also I dont think i will ever have a need to cut much over 2" At least not now....

I said the same thing when I started out.  If I'd of gone larger up front, I wouldn't have had multiple table saws in my past to comment on.  

Buying more HP now means not upgrading in the future.  If you don't stick with this, it will retain a decent value so you don't take it in the shorts!

2 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

I said the same thing when I started out.  If I'd of gone larger up front, I wouldn't have had multiple table saws in my past to comment on.  

Buying more HP now means not upgrading in the future.  If you don't stick with this, it will retain a decent value so you don't take it in the shorts!

I agree with you in all respects. I seem to always over buy if that makes sense. My wife says I have monster truck syndrome. Her thoughts are I bring a monster truck to get over a speed bump at the mall. Haha

I agree with you in all respects. I seem to always over buy if that makes sense. My wife says I have monster truck syndrome. Her thoughts are I bring a monster truck to get over a speed bump at the mall. Haha

Rule of thumb in this hobby is" buy once cry once".

I hate the saying in all honesty but, for the most part, it's accurate.