$1000 table saw

Capnrock

Like Paul, I've owned many different table saws over the years - Rockwell contractors, PM66, Inca 259; Felder 5 function slider combo, Rockwell hybrid, Unisaw, DeWalt jobsite saw, Sawstop PCS 3 HP. Easily the best has been the SS PCS. Worked great right out of the box and has performed flawlessly since.

I fully understand other's hesitancy regarding the technology, but have different priorities. I place a very high value on my fingers. Accidents do happen. To me, it's icing on the cake. It's just a good saw all around. We have a total of 8 Sawstop saws at school with some 20 or so classes per week offered each semester, roughly 10 - 12 students per class. The saws get a lot of use. Someone trips a cartridge maybe once a year. We take a picture for the bulletin board when they do. Just about a week ago a woman touched the blade reaching behind it. It tripped and slightly trimmed her fingernail. Blade was not ruined but put back into use within a few minutes.

• Like 2

It sounds like you have thought about this a lot so I am sure you know that you have to work safely and think safely and have a plan around all of your power tools and then pass those traits on to your son.  I am sure you know that the SawStop won't be a substitute for this mindset but an added layer of safety.

Its not instead of, it is an addition to safe work habits.

• Like 2

Chet that's exactly it. I dont drive the the safest rated vehicle on the highway, that doesn't mean I'm careless. On the opposite side of that it only takes a fraction of a second to "mess up". And to clarify careless doesn't always mean negligence. Sometimes the unexpected happens I understand. 

Sometimes, not all the time, people that have a safety net act differenty or perform differently when they have that added insurance around anything that they may be doing.

I think the 2hp or grizzly or 1-3/4hp SS are the 2 its gonna come down to at the end of the day. Just asking myself if the SS with the fence upgrade (not premium) is worth the added $1500.

On 11/14/2019 at 2:20 AM, Larry Moore said:

Some things to consider are, how wide is the throat I have trouble getting my hand in to take off the blade lock nut and my hands are not that big.

Don't mean to Threadjack. 

When I align my saws my first step is to make the room for my hand as large as is workable.  That is, I have the top as far to the right as I can (on a left tilt saw) and then align.  I also find that reaching for the nut with my left hand (on a left tilt saw) is easier than using my right although I am right handed.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Capnrock said:

Havent pulled the trigger yet. Now you guys got me wondering about going to 220/240v. Dang you guys. Just kidding. Weighing new options with my current options. Thanks again

If you up your power, I'd be looking hard at the 1023!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gee-dub said:

If the panel is easily reachable and has a couple of slots open I would go 240v.  Of course, then you might miss out on the WOW factor when you upgrade later :D.  Seriously though, sounds like you are zeroing in.

There is room by all means. I just cant help but think the money spent on a 240v is overkill for me. Its money that can be spent elsewhere.  With that being said only 2 of the saws I mentioned can be wired for 120v. One comes already and the other is an add on. Add one cost so....time to look at wire

I had the Ridgid R4512 for several years (ran on 120V).  Was a pretty good saw, but I felt it under-powered in some of the stuff I used it for.   The built-in mobile base is really good.  I sold it earlier this year and replaced it with a G1023RL (I have a Festool track saw and did not want to commit the extra space for a large table saw like the W version of the Grizzly).  For me, mobility in the shop is important so I put it on a PM-3500 base and that is a good one, much better than the Shop Fox one I have on my bandsaw.  So far it has been fine...solid and plenty of power with the true 3HP motor.  The fit and finish are not as nice as you get with Powermatic or Sawstop, but good enough for my needs.  I was concerned about the dust collection as I've seen the reviews go both ways on this one.  It is better than expected, and better than the Ridgid.  I have a Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector and am pleased with how little extra stuff there is, unlike the Ridgid where I always had escapes above and around the top of the blade.  Still, a dust shoe on top of the blade would undoubtedly be superior.