Ryobi Miter Saw

Bob Guercio

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and glad to be a member of this community. Also, I'm very much an amateur and looking forward to learning about woodworking around the house.

I recently installed crown molding around my home using a Ryobi Miter saw which seems pretty decent for my purposes. I was told by someone that Ryobi Miter saws do not make cuts as accurately as other more expensive brands and I was told by someone else that the cut precision is essentially the same but that the more expensive product is more durable. For my purposes, durability is probably not a factor but precision may be.

What is the difference between a Ryobi Miter saw and one of the more expensive brands such as a DeWalt.

Thank you,

Bob

I have a Ryobi and find that with periodic tune ups, it stays relatively accurate. The tune ups are a pain though and I expect that a higher end model holds true longer. The tilt setting however is pure crap in that there's a bit of flex to the assembly and I NEVER get accurate cuts with it.

My recommendation is to spend the extra money if you don't want the hassle. I wish I did!

I have a Ryobi and find that with periodic tune ups, it stays relatively accurate. The tune ups are a pain though and I expect that a higher end model holds true longer. The tilt setting however is pure crap in that there's a bit of flex to the assembly and I NEVER get accurate cuts with it.

My recommendation is to spend the extra money if you don't want the hassle. I wish I did!

Thanks for the comment.

I presume that by tuneups you mean making sure that the blade is cutting at a 90 degree angle which you do yourself. It doesn't mean taking it into a Ryobi repair shop. Does it?

Bob

Bob,

The difference is mostly in features. I'm guessing that the Ryobi you have only bevels to one side. Most DeWalt models do two. Also the DeWalts (and other premium brands)have nicer fences, locks & handles. That said the biggest factor to quality of cut is the blade. So, put a good blade on your Ryobi, calibrate often and you should be good to go.

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and glad to be a member of this community. Also, I'm very much an amateur and looking forward to learning about woodworking around the house.

I recently installed crown molding around my home using a Ryobi Miter saw which seems pretty decent for my purposes. I was told by someone that Ryobi Miter saws do not make cuts as accurately as other more expensive brands and I was told by someone else that the cut precision is essentially the same but that the more expensive product is more durable. For my purposes, durability is probably not a factor but precision may be.

What is the difference between a Ryobi Miter saw and one of the more expensive brands such as a DeWalt.

Thank you,

Bob

Three years ago I purchased an expensive German sliding mitre saw 'Elektra Bekaum' (I think that's how you spell it) and believe me if this is an example of German engineering It is crap. It has never been consistently accurate. Fortunately I only use it if I'm away from the workshop where I have dedicated Radial Arm saw of real quality. Prior to this I had an Elu flip over for more than twenty years that never ever needed tuning and only got replaced because some kind soul stole it.

Bob,

The difference is mostly in features. I'm guessing that the Ryobi you have only bevels to one side. Most DeWalt models do two. Also the DeWalts (and other premium brands)have nicer fences, locks & handles. That said the biggest factor to quality of cut is the blade. So, put a good blade on your Ryobi, calibrate often and you should be good to go.

Dyami,

I guess I'm good to go.

I'm using it for crown molding and the blade is a 60 tooth AvantiPro which I imagine is a good blade.

Thank you,

Bob

Yea, you can adjust the stops yourself. Keep your manual whichever way you go so that you can refer to the tune up procedures.

Thanks for the comment.

I presume that by tuneups you mean making sure that the blade is cutting at a 90 degree angle which you do yourself. It doesn't mean taking it into a Ryobi repair shop. Does it?

Bob