making ogee trim

Dave H

I'm building a book case for a friend out of walnut so I had an ogee bit I haven't used in... I don't know how long any way I'm getting multiple pieces out of a wide board then cutting off individual pieces, rinse and repeat. Well my first attempt was less than desirable burn marks, small chips etc. so I went back into my memory and remembered the old add tape to the fence trick run the board through remove the tape, run the board through again for a clean up pass I still wasn't happy and was thinking about going to town for a better ogee bit (25 mi. round trip) screw that so my new plan was 2 layers of tape to the fence and one layer on the table I ran the board through took one layer of tape off, ran board through took second layer off, ran it through then took the tape off the table (you guessed it) ran the board through one last time a little light sanding I got a very crisp profile, no burning and, no chipping ripped it off on the table saw and did this 5 more times ( I made a couple extra in case I screw up ). Anyway I got some quality trim with a old crappy ogee bit with the old blue tape trick on steroids. 

• Like 2

I have some small dmt diamond sharpening plates. If i need my cuts to be nice and crisp I'll lap my old tired bit with a couple strokes on the flat side and it makes a world of difference.

If there is backwards grain I'll also take the last light cut in a climb orientation. I guess i only do this if the piece is large enough to control. If it's a small piece i try and orient the grain so I'm never cutting against the grain.

• Like 2