No Vacuum Chip Collection ideas

Timf

5 hours ago, Timf said:

Hi all: just found this site hope someone can help. I plane a lot of wood and want to avoid another vacuum system.

Any ideas on collecting the chips???

Thank Much Enjoy the Wood

Tim

Welcome to the forums Tim!  Obviously, we need just a little more info to help you out.  

I assume you're talking about hand planes.  Collecting those large shavings can get tricky for a smaller "shop vac" type of set up.  A larger dust collector would do the track or, perhaps adding something like a dust deputy to your "shop vac" system to separate the larger chunks from the dust could be the answer.

Hi Tim! Good question. Assuming you mean hand planing, most just do the broom & dustpan thing, but a tarp spread under your work are can help you gather them up all at once.

If you are power planing, more info will help. I know the DW735 has a powerful chip ejector fan built in, but many others do not. For those, a good vacuum system is really necessary to avoid the mess. Personally, I have the option of planing outside and letting nature take care of the mess.