Star Wars Aztec calendar

29 minutes ago, difalkner said:

That looks great, Mick!  I take it yours isn't cut out of MDF 'cause it's too smooth.  Maybe it's a different dxf file - I just grabbed the first one I found.

David

It is MDF, ¾". I primed it with Rustoleum brown, followed by 2 coats of flat black. Then I rubbed the surface with Silver Rub 'n Buff.

This was the first one I did. The second turned out much better.

• Like 1

Very interesting on the negative/positive aspect.  But then, this is only about the third time I've used Carveco and the first time I have imported a dxf file so I probably did something wrong.  I may play with it and see if I can get it looking like yours, 'cause I like it better.

David

9 hours ago, difalkner said:

Very interesting on the negative/positive aspect.  But then, this is only about the third time I've used Carveco and the first time I have imported a dxf file so I probably did something wrong.  I may play with it and see if I can get it looking like yours, 'cause I like it better.

David

I haven't used Carveco. but in all the other CAM packages I've used, they automatically reverse the male/female cuts based on alternating inside/outside vectors. So if you have an outer circle and two inner circles, the area between the outer and first inner would cut positive, the first inner circle to the second inner negative, etc. Try drawing a circle around the file you downloaded an retoolpathing it. It should reverse the positive/negative.

• Like 1

Nice, David. I didn't have any issues with the 60 degree bit, but I used ¾ MDF and a ¼" dia bit with a ⅛" end mill for a clearing pass. I doubt either would make any difference but good to know that switching to the 90 might work if I run into in the future.