Harbor Freight Table Saw

Rmcauliffe

Probably gonna stir up a hornets nest with this question but here goes.  I have a very small wood shop with a hf table saw that I’m building a sled for.  I would like to have at least 6” wide cut ability but that means the fence would extend past the table as top by a couple of inches.  Is that ok or a safety hazard?

i appreciate all the help I can get because of my limitations on shop size and budget.

Raymond

@Rmcauliffe, do you mean the sled is wider (front to back) than the saw table, or just that it will overhang when pushed forward during the cut? If just while forward, most of them do that. My only concern would be if the sled is so wide the more than half of it hangs over the back of the saw, it might tip.

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

My only concern would be if the sled is so wide the more than half of it hangs over the back of the saw, it might tip.

And if so, many on here use an outfeed table, even a flip up one, with a slot cut in it to accept the guide bar. 

• Like 1

If this saw is the one you use, I highly recommend embedding it into a larger work surface. I started out with a Sears saw of similar style, and couldn't safely cut anything larger than pencil box parts on it. You need a stable base and more support surface than the table provides. Youtube has plenty of 'small shop' solutions that demonstrate how it can be done.

• Like 2