Stair Landing - Finish??

TheWoodLab

Hey Folks,

Figured I'd post this in Finishing, even though it's not really about furniture, since I wasn't sure where else it'd fit.

I recently (I use this term loosely :lol: ) ripped out a small step to my upstairs and put in a landing to make more surface room to step on at the bottom of the stairs since it is also where my back door is. Right now I just have plywood on top to make it functional.

I have some pine treads that I will be ripping and gluing together, etc to make it the 'final product' though. The stairs are painted, but where this landing is, I think would look better as a natural wood look, since it enters the kitchen where there is plenty of wood already there.

My question is, what do folks recommend I use to finish the wood? I imagine it will need something pretty durable since it will be a high foot traffic area.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim, one thing comes to mind is that you're using pine and that is a quite soft wood. Is the rest of the staircase pine? I would think you'd want to use more durable product there, finished clear or painted. Just a thought. If the rest of the staircase is pine, then by all means, be consistent.

Do a parquet mosiac, blending the painted stairs into the wood grain of the kitchen. At the base of the stairs, it's 90-95% painted wood, and at the edge near the kitchen, it's 90-95% "bare" wood.

I'd throw some sort of urethane on it, even if it's just your basic Minwax Poly.

• 2 weeks later...

High traffic areas are a pain to maintain. I used to install and finish floors. Our "go to" finish was Last n Last 1500 series. Its a water based professional grade floor finish.Very easy to use, no hardeners like if you were to use lets say L&L Trek or Bona Traffic. The 1500 is about 70 bucks a gallon(ouch) but......... you wont be redoing it a month later like a floor finish off the shelf at the local hardware store.