Woodriver Planes

adamnolen

I'm thinking about picking up a few of the Woodriver planes. Do any of y'all have any? What do you think about them? Is it really worth the money to upgrade to the "premium" brands? I'm currently using a plane I got from Lowes for like $30. Anything has to be better lol.

I am going to pick a few up in a couple of weeks. I have been reading really good reviews on the newer ones. Hop over to Shannon's site he has done a couple of tests on them. I have no illusions that a lee valley or lie neilson would be a better plane, but for me right now, can't be that price.

http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/rww-podcast-106-woodriver-bench-plane-out-of-the-box-test/

http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/rww-107-woodriver-and-lie-nielsen-hand-plane-shootout/

I bought the Wood River #4 (v2) and am happy with it for the price. Works better than a tuned Buck Bros or Groz, and seems to work better than my Record. I can't compare it to an old refurbished #4 Stanley, as I haven't used one.

It still doesn't compare to a LN or Veritas. I have a LN Low Angle Jack for most of my work, and use the #4 when needed. I still long for a LN#4, but don't use it enough to justify the extra $$. Next on my list, LN #7 or #8. The LN just fit my hands better. I find the handles on the WR to be a bit small for my liking.

List of my Planes:

LN #112 Scraping Plane

LN #5 LAJ (multiple irons)

Record #5

WR #4

Groz #4 & Buck Bros #4 (Now reserved for the Boy's to use)

Stanley #9

Stanley #60

Veritas medium Shoulder Plane

Hey Adam, I recently got a Woodriver #6 V2 when it was on clearance. I must say that I have been very please with the results that I hvae been getting. So please in fact that I am thinking of getting a #5. The sole was pretty much dead flat when I check it with my Woodpecker straightedge. So flat in fact, that I havent even tried to flatten it. THe iron is thick and so is the chipbreaker. These planes are based off of the original Stanley Bedrock planes. The fit and finish is very nice as well. I really cant saw anything bad of it as of yet. For someone who doesnt not use them exclusively, I think that it is a great choice. I know it doesnt mean much, but Tommy Mac uses them on the show. Rob Cosman also take one of these planes right out of the box and tunes them when he does demos at Woodcraft. And he can make these things sing. So, in my opinion, go for it. I think that it is a great place to start.

I think that I would consider it, taking care of the iron, as in flattening the back and honing the bevel, as well as making sure the chipbreaker is good as well.. Also cleaning it up completely. Making sure the sole if flat. Adjusting the frog as well. Come into the chatroom sometime. There are a few regulars that can walk you through the process.

... I know it doesnt mean much, but Tommy Mac uses them on the show. Rob Cosman also take one of these planes right out of the box and tunes them when he does demos at Woodcraft. And he can make these things sing. ...

While I don't doubt that the newer Woodriver planes can be good; make no mistake. The only reason Tommy Mac and Rob Cosman use them is that they are sponsored by Woodcraft. If you watch the old podcasts from Tommy, he used Lie Nielsen planes and chisels. Then, lo and behold, now that he is on a show sponsored by Woodcraft, he uses Woodriver planes and chisels exclusively.

Again, not knocking the improved quality, but lets get real. that's not what they would normally choose.

Its been several months now of working with my WoodRiver #3 from when I did my out of the box test podcast. I am very pleased with the plane. I think this is a solid mid level plane and you will find very few differences between it and the premiums on the market. The materials are better made on the more expensive guys, but I think this is something that will only come out over a long period of time. For most weekend woodworkers, these WoodRivers should last them a lifetime.

Oh and as an add on to the last post, I would agree that both Rob and Tommy use WoodRiver because of a sponsorship, but having spoken with both of them personally at length about it, I don't believe they would use a crappy plane. If you watch Rough Cut, you will notice that he is not always using the WoodRiver and his #4 bronze LN will show up too. Because the show is a PBS show, Tommy cannot actually endorse any tools. So sure there is a bias because of a sponsorship, but I wouldn't let that color your impressions. I'm not exactly sure that Rob is sponsored by Woodcraft, he teaches for them and has partnered to market the IBC blades, but I do not think Woodcraft pays him. I could be wrong, but I thought I would inject an opinion as I have spoken with these guys and they are genuine about their tool use.

I took a class with Rob Cosman back in January. His recommendation is to buy the Version 3 planes. Most of them out there now should be V3. It will say V3 on the box or if you look at the lateral adjustment, all V3's have a brass tab. I took Rob's handplane revival class. I had never used a handplane till that day, and I was taking see thru shavings (and so was everyone). I bought a number 4 since it was on sale and for the cost, it was worth it not to rehab the number 4 I had. Rob used a new out of the box Woodriver 6 that day. All he did was hone and sharpen the blade. Rob also gave very candid reasons why he used to sell L-N and why he doesn't anymore. Rob still uses a lot of L-N tools, mainly the chisles. Rob also told us that Woodriver will have a 7 and 8 coming out sometime soon. I also picked up an IBC blade/breaker set that had the bonus of Rob's Handplane Revival DVD. If you can't take a class with Rob, buy his DVD's they are excellent.

While I don't doubt that the newer Woodriver planes can be good; make no mistake. The only reason Tommy Mac and Rob Cosman use them is that they are sponsored by Woodcraft. If you watch the old podcasts from Tommy, he used Lie Nielsen planes and chisels. Then, lo and behold, now that he is on a show sponsored by Woodcraft, he uses Woodriver planes and chisels exclusively.

Again, not knocking the improved quality, but lets get real. that's not what they would normally choose.

Maybe that didnt come out right... I guess what I meant was that yes they use them, but look what Rob Cosman can do with it too. He makes those thing take those paper thin see through shavings with just minimal work. ANd I am sure that the reason is just the sponsorship. But he still does it with the WR planes..

I've had a #3 and a #6 since around September and used them quite a lot. They are excellent planes. Compared to my LN #4.5 they are capable of taking exactly the same quality of cut. The depth adjuster has a bit more backlash the the LN, the lateral adjuster is slightly less free moving and has slightly more slop. As far as tuning goes, I flattened the back and honed to blade. Later I lapped the from of the chip breaker to take off the heavy mill marks but that was appearance more than function. Nothing else, they work great.

I may try some buffing compound on the cap iron at some point, now that I think of it some of the slightly higher effort to move the lateral adjuster could be the lesser polish on that part, worth a few minutes of effort at some point to see.